Skills: Captain / Master
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Master located in Glasgow, Glasgow City/United Kingdom through 7th May 2019 at 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time).
Expectations for the position of Master include but are not limited to:
- Meets the competency standards as listed in STCW Table A-II/2
- Ensures and demonstrates the ability to assess the vessels position relative to weather conditions, navigation hazards, other vessels and any other hazardous conditions and to act on significant concern to vessel safety and operation.
- Has thorough knowledge of USCG and international regulations such as MARPOL, SOLAS, SIGTTO / ISGOTT, Classification Society and flag state requirements, in particular the merchant shipping acts applicable to the vessel, requirements regarding personnel management and discipline, articles and associated documentation.
- Up to date with industry best practice procedures for enclosed space entry, hot work, Lockout /Tag out, pollution prevention, working aloft, safe lifting etc.
- In partnership with the Chief Engineer leads and promotes safe working practices on board through operations and emergency training to maintain high interest in safety and demonstrate visible commitment to Chevron Safety policy.
- Shares best practices and information with other vessels and shore.
- In coordination with the Chief, operates a logical and economic program of energy management to achieve the most effective use of fuel consistent with optimization of overall shipboard operations.
- Continuously looks for and proposes ways to increase cost effectiveness of operations in all areas, monitors vessels budgets and actively questions expense discrepancies.
- Is a positive role model. Exhibits a positive attitude towards the job and the people on board, fosters good working relationships, teamwork and a productive safe working environment.
- Conducts inclusive, participative discussions (does not lecture or dominate) uses a professional positive and supportive tone in written and verbal communications.
- Maintains focus, composure and control when difficult situations arise.
- Treats people with respect.
- Actively promotes and supports diversity.
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breast-feeding and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, age, mental or physical disability (including medical condition), military or veteran status, political preference, marital status, citizenship, genetic information or other status protected by law or regulation.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.