This Static Mechanical Engineer position is in Shell's Deepwater Projects and Engineering organization, which is based in Houston, Tx. This organization is accountable for the design, construction, installation, commissioning, and start-up of Shell's global deepwater oil and gas facilities. The project portfolio includes both greenfield and brownfield projects. The majority of the current deepwater project portfolio is geographically located in the Gulf of Mexico, Brazil, and Nigeria.
The responsibilities of a Static Mechanical Engineer in the Deepwater Projects and Engineering organization include:
- Supporting the development of preliminary facility designs during the conceptual design phase, including:
- Process design (Process Flow Diagrams, Process & Instrumentation Diagrams)
- Equipment sizing and layouts
- Preliminary hazard analysis
- Weight, cost and schedule estimates
- Supporting the development of detailed facility design, procurement, and construction requirements and specifications
- Supporting the development of Invitation to Tender documents for the design, construction, installation, and commissioning of topsides facilities; subsequently participating in the technical evaluation of the tenders.
- Providing oversight and technical assurance of the facility design engineering, procurement, and construction.
- Participate in process design reviews, HAZOP studies, and contribute to the design HSE case
- Assess system/equipment integrity to understand the full range of operability
- Ensure that Human Factors, operability, maintainability and constructability standards are uniformly applied throughout the design
- Participate in detailed design reviews
- Plan and participate in equipment FAT's
- Providing mechanical engineering support during the commissioning and start-up of the facility
- The scope of the Static Mechanical Engineer typically includes: piping, valves, pressure vessels, tanks, heat exchangers, API pumps, HVAC, chemical injection systems and utilities, cooling systems, and heat recovery systems. There are typically separate Rotating Equipment Engineers who are responsible for the design, procurement, manufacturing, installation, and commissioning of the large rotating equipment units, e.g., gas turbine generators, compressors, export pumps, etc.
Additionally, the candidate is expected to:
- Work in a team environment, take initiative and handle multiple responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Provide technical expertise to review the technical work of others
- Possibly oversee the work of contractor engineers to complete project deliverables
- Interface with other discipline engineers for complete design and project management of modules and engineered packages
- Interface with the HSSE and the Quality organizations on engineered packages
- Maintain relationships with internal team members and stakeholders (other discipline engineers, managers, project and process engineers, etc.) to ensure success of total project
- Establish and maintain applicable customer and supplier/contractor relationships
- Demonstrate enterprise-first behaviors regarding Leadership, Accountability and Teamwork
- Demonstrate HSSE and D&I (Diversity & Inclusiveness) compliance and behaviors in line with corporate initiatives
- Comply with corporate standards and work processes.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering (degrees in other engineering disciplines may be acceptable if the candidate has extensive work experience in mechanical engineering roles)
- 8 + years of relevant experience with offshore oil & gas facility design, procurement, and construction
- Professional Engineering registration is desirable
- Experience with deepwater projects is desirable
- Experience with FPSO projects will be a plus
- International work experience will be a plus
- Deep knowledge and experience in implementing process safety processes
- Working knowledge of US and international oil and gas industry standards
- Working knowledge of project management and project control processes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.