Skills: Electrical Engineering
Location: Stonehouse, England, United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
As part of a small project team, the Electrical / Electronics Engineer designs, develops and sustains the electronics of Drilling and Measurement tools. During drilling, these tools continually measure rock formation characteristics and steer the well to achieve optimal productivity. The data gathered by an array of sensors is stored in memory, processed and sent to the surface by telemetry. The power generated downhole is also used in actuators and motors to navigate the well to the desired spot.
- Work in close collaboration with physicist, software and mechanical engineers to develop or sustain a product, in agreement with project technical, timing and cost objectives
- Analyze the requirements and produce mathematical models to validate by simulation the proposed concept
- Build prototypes, test in the lab
- Develop the chosen solution. A company-wide support structure helps at every step of the way, for simulation, CAD, design guidelines, component validation, test development
- Design qualification tests to ensure the tools operate reliably under the harsh shock and vibrations of drilling, at high temperatures (for example 175C)
- Prepare documentation for Manufacturing and Maintenance, and also training programs for Field engineers and technicians all over the world.
- Participate in our award-winning knowledge sharing programs, and in the training programs that accompany the Electrical / Electronics Engineer to improve competency in all disciplines: modeling and simulation, power conversion, analog and digital electronics, metrology, control systems, communications, embedded software, electromechanical, etc.
Qualfications and competencies:
• MS or PhD in electrical engineering or related engineering
• Strong problem-solving skills and technical judgment.
• Strong communication skills are important for presentations, technical reports, papers, but also listening
Stonehouse Technology Center (SHTC) is the Schlumberger drilling Center of Excellence. It supports Schlumberger Oilfield Services through innovative engineering and quality-driven manufacturing, with portfolio emphasis on rotary steerable systems, downhole mud motors, and power source products.
Looking to the future - Innovative design engineering using advanced 3D software has pushed the boundaries of this tool suite, continuously enhancing measurement quality, extending reliability, optimizing drilling times, and improving accuracy of well placement.
Over 300 employees work in SHTC's modern, fit-for-purpose building in scenic Gloucestershire. The facility was constructed to handle future demand for PowerDrive tools with an efficient workflow that ensures assembled tools are extensively and rigorously tested before delivery. On site, tools can be monitored using state of-the-art hardware and connectivity that link SHTC to all field locations.
SHTC continues R&D investment for new technologies, extending operational limits so that clients can reach hotter, deeper reserves.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.
A tradition of excellence and innovation
We’re the world’s leading provider of integrated pore-to-pipeline technology solutions to the oil and gas industry. We’re also a leading employer in our sector—with a reputation for hiring the best and the brightest people and keeping them at the top of their game through rewarding career-long development opportunities.
Each day, in 85 countries, we help our customers find and produce oil and gas in ways that demonstrate respect for both people and the environment. Today’s industry challenges call for new ideas, techniques, and solutions. If you want to drive your career and want to grow with a company that’s embraced new ways of thinking since 1927, we may have the career for you.
Schlumberger is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.