Skills: CAD / CAM, Structural Engineering, Drafting
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Some College
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Working with the design team, the Lead Designer shapes the project and aids in the creation of the schedule, resource allocation and time assignments. The Lead Designer is responsible for ensuring that designs meet client requirements including gathering specific information within the project cycle and designing solutions.
- Represent PD&MS with Clients, Suppliers / Vendors and Certifying Authorities in a professional manner.
- Supervision of personnel under the Lead Designer's control, and for the quality of work produced by them.
- Assurance of competence of design personnel under the Lead Designer's control. Identification of personnel shortfalls and submission of proposal to the Design Team Leader for solutions such as training, coaching or replacement.
- Identification of design scope of work required to undertake a project/job. Estimation of deliverables, manpower and time required to execute the scope of work.
- Input to project plans and schedules via the Lead Engineer.
- Early identification to the Lead Engineer / Design Team Leader of areas of concern during the course of any project or study with necessary corrective action identified.
- Liaison with the Design Team Leader to identify areas for development and to implement improvements in working practices.
- Ensure operational and maintenance issues are addressed in the design. Seeking input from operations and maintenance personnel.
- Surveys, both onshore and offshore, to determine information to allow execution of workscopes.
- Monitoring progress of work under the Lead Designer's control and achieving completion within the agreed schedule and budget.
- Forward planning of resources and timely identification of changes to resource requirements to the Lead Engineer / Design Team Leader.
- Checking of department design deliverables.
- Identification of increase or reduction in scope of work and advising the Lead Engineer / Project Engineer accordingly.
- Ensuring Designers under the Lead Designers control follow procedures for document control and use and retention of check prints / IDC comments prints.
- Responsible for ensuring that all supervised personnel are aware of continuous improvement issues and new technology.
- Remain up to date and knowledgeable with technical developments, client, national and international standards and legislative requirements related to the position.
- During surveys/site visits communication with Operations and Maintenance personnel to ensure all requirements are fulfilled and determine any opportunities where PD&MS can provide engineering solutions to existing problems or for improving existing methods.
- Production of cost effective design solutions that are fit for purpose, safe and add value to both PD&MS and the Client. Motivation of discipline personnel to do similarly.
- Awareness and understanding of the business drivers within the PD&MS / Client relationship and how these can be influenced by innovative designs and minimum cost solutions.
- Performance of engineering tasks and activities, in accordance with PD&MS QA, HS & E Policies.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable Industry Codes and Standards, HSE Alerts, Statutory Instruments, Client Specifications and Legislative Requirements and establishing order of precedence on a project-by-project basis.
- Demonstration of safe approach in design and working practises.
- Encouragement of attention to safety in personnel under the Lead Designer control.
- Responsible for ensuring professional development is maintained and identified competency requirements are undertaken in a timely manner.
- Adherence to the Company Integrated Management System.
- Compliance with quality assurance, health and safety and environmental policies.
- Demonstrate and promote PD&MS QHSE principles and lead by example.
- Ensure unsafe activities are challenged.
- Adherence to the requirements of the best practice standards recommendations and processes in the undertaking of duties, in particular, risk assessment and control, reliability and failure prevention necessary to ensure the safe design, equipment and systems.
- Demonstrate and promote PD&MS values and lead by example.
- Raise issues of quality, health, safety and environmental and input to continuous quality improvement element.