Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Nabors owns and operates one of the world's largest land-based drilling rig fleet and is a provider of offshore drilling rigs in the United States and multiple international markets. Nabors also provides directional drilling, performance tools, and innovative technologies for its own rig fleet and those of third parties. Leveraging our advanced drilling automation capabilities, Nabors' highly skilled workforce continues to set new standards for operational excellence and transform our industry.
Canrig Drilling Technology Ltd., with revenues of approximately $400M, provides equipment, tools, services, and software products to oil and gas companies worldwide to improve the safety and efficiency of the drilling process. Our workforce, like our technology, is rapidly expanding.
Reporting directly to ME Manager, the Senior Mechanical Engineer is accountable for mechanical design and development as related to MWD/LWD/RSS/Mud Motor downhole tools/sensors using sound engineering principles. In addition, the position maintains and improves existing downhole designs as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Perform engineering calculations as required
• Effectively use GD&T methods
• Perform Finite Element Analysis as needed
• Check drawings produced by designers and drafters
• Prepare/check assembly instructions
• Prepare/check bills of material
• Perform failure and root cause analysis
• Create, modify, and manipulate solid 3D CAD models of parts and assemblies
• Produce detailed machine drawings and technical instructions
• Conduct research that tests and analyses the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components, and systems
• Carry out necessary calculations and analysis supporting design proposals. For eg: Tolerance stack- up verification, FEA as needed.
• Produce assembly drawings and procedures
• Comprise test plans, carry out experiments, report results and conclusions
• Materials selection and application for new and existing designs
• Maintain revision notes and track changes to engineering documents
• Research, analyze, and maintain internal and supplier specifications, manuals, and other data supporting team and project needs to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
• Participate in routine team design reviews
• Provide support to internal customers with written and oral reports
• Provide lab and field engineering support during prototype verification
• Interface with suppliers in acquiring quotations and placing orders
• Provide Quality Assurance Engineering, design transfer to manufacturing, and process improvements to obtain optimum product reliability, safety, and effectiveness.
• Any additional duties assigned by management
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or Masters preferred with +8 years relevant mechanical engineering experience.
• Ability to read, comprehend and write in English.
• Ability to effectively present technical information, to colleagues, customers and vendors.
• As per mechanical engineering degree requirements.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instruction furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
• Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
• AutoCAD, Math Cad, Solid Edge, Solid Works, Inventor, Solid Works Simulation, ANSYS
• Manufacturing/Inventory software
• Spreadsheet and word processor software
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• Valid Driver License
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Valid passport
• Domestic and international travel may be required.
• Minimum 5 year's experience in MWD/LWD design
• Minimum 5 year's experience using SolidWorks CAD software
• FEA courses attended and experience applying FEA
• Shock/Vibration qualification testing experience
• Experience in High Temperature and High Pressure applications
• Exposure Rotary Steerable System's design and Steerable Drilling Motor's design preferable
• MathCad/MatLab experience preferable
Today, Nabors owns and operates the world’s largest land-based drilling rig fleet and is a leading provider of offshore platform workover and drilling rigs in the United States and numerous international markets. With operations in 28 countries, Nabors also provides directional drilling services, performance tools and innovative technologies throughout many of the most significant oil and gas markets. Leveraging our advanced drilling automation capabilities, Nabors’ highly skilled workforce continues to set new standards for operational excellence and transform our industry.
As of April 16, 2018, Nabors’ assets include:
- 407 land drilling rigs
- 31 offshore platform rigs
Nabors is ranked in the Global Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.