Skills: Financial Analyst
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: United Kingdom
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
PURPOSE: Finance Advisors serve as the face of Finance for opportunities or challenges prioritised based on value and risk. They are responsible for the delivery of Finance capability required to support the ongoing activities of the Shell Group across multiple businesses.
The Finance Advisor will be involved in a variety of Holdings related activities and opportunities. These will be assigned to them by the Finance Manager based on value and risk. The Finance Advisor will:
- Deliver the full suite of Finance support either autonomously or coordinating with other specialists within the CoEs. As part of the CoE, there will be a focus towards providing technical accounting advice on Group financing including advising Finance Operations and Group Reporting. This will include contributing towards Group Accounting Policy on technical issues and the implementation of new financial reporting standards.
- Ensure that an appropriate control framework is in place and that risks are properly understood, reflected and managed.
- Ensure value and risks are made transparent and understood in both decision making and in performance management.
- In activities where FO and the Business act together, lead and initiate structural improvement projects while leaving the accountability for delivery with the accountable people.
- Bring new proposals of high value activities to the Finance Manager who decides on the resource allocation.
- Actively look for opportunities to reduce non-value adding Finance activity ("demand management").
- Maximise use of Finance Operations in delivery of processes.
As part of a pool supporting the business, Finance Advisors:
- Work on opportunities across multiple financing activities and are not dedicated to a specific activity, or business. The work they perform will change over time and be prioritised based on value and risk, and professional development.
- Will on specific projects or transactions work with business stakeholders to be the voice of Finance to deliver as "One Finance" with others in CoEs and Finance Operations. These projects will include Group structuring, risk management and systems implementations.
- Act across organisational boundaries as required in the specific activity.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
Finance Advisors demonstrate/have/develop:
- Expertise across the spectrum of Finance competences. Experience in risk management and corporate structuring would be an advantage, and with a proven track record of Continuous Improvement throughout their career.
- Ability to gain the confidence of various internal and external parties building on strong knowledge and understanding of the business drivers, value and risk.
- Maturity and authority to decide when to involve others within the CoEs and effectively play the independent Finance role.
- Problem solving mindset with the courage to ensure professional financial rigor is applied to the decision-making process and risk management, bringing analytics and insights to the table.
- Project management skills and flexibility given the support financing across multiple businesses.
- Ability to rapidly understand the specific business or function context for which activities are linked.
The successful candidate will be a Chartered Accountant (or equivalent) with a preference
of 5 years post qualified experience.
Finance Advisors will benefit from:
- Opportunity to contribute to the delivery of the financing of the Shell Group.
- Broad opportunities for development with a range of experiences over the job tenure.
- Ability to apply skills to a variety of financing activities and businesses and gain better understanding of end to end value chains.
- Enhanced peer learning opportunities (knowledge sharing) due to commonalities of activities performed by pool members.
- Developing the capability to quickly understand the value drivers, risks, dimensions, and businesses the pool supports.
- Learning how and when to appropriately leverage Business Finance, CoE and FO to effectively support the financing of the Group, thereby developing an ability to take overall Finance accountability.
- As part of the extended management team the senior Finance Advisor will be involved in recruiting talent into the department and into Shell. They will offer guidance and training to stakeholders in Holdings and Treasury and beyond.