Experience: 7 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
Accounts Payable Analyst - Monitoring and Controls
Seven years young and 130 years strong. Based in Houston, Marathon Oil is focused on the most significant oil-rich resource plays in the U.S. -- the Eagle Ford in Texas, the Bakken in North Dakota, the Northern Delaware in New Mexico, and STACK and SCOOP in Oklahoma. We also have international operations in Africa and Europe. Since becoming an independent E&P company in 2011, we feel like a start-up in many ways but have the stability of roots that go back 130 years to our company's formation in 1887. Our stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol: MRO.
We are currently finishing the process of transitioning the Accounts Payable function from an outsourced 3rd party service provider to an in-house function within the Accounting organization. It's an exciting time to join Marathon Oil. We are growing and adding talent. If you are looking for a new position, with opportunities to advance and grow with a reputable, stable company, look no further!
The Accounts Payable ("AP") process includes the invoice and payment processes within the Company's Purchase-to-Pay ("P2P") process. The AP Analyst - Monitoring & Processes Lead role is accountable for performing monitoring and overall effectiveness of the AP processes including control activities for invoices and payments to reduce risk and strengthen internal controls.
- Perform invoice and payment testing activities in a timely manner
- Identify and communicate root cause analyses and solutions for improved invoice processing and on-time payment
- Identify potential control weaknesses, make recommendations to strengthen control environment, and implement corrective actions for gaps identified.
- Prepare and review reports to support management oversight for all AP processes
- Assist in and support the communication of process changes as they are developed
- Communicate with a diverse group of business partners across all levels of the company and external vendors; ensuring issues are addressed in a timely manner
- Perform monthly journal entry review
- Assist with a variety of AP tasks and projects, as necessary, including back-up support for other team members
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business or related field required
- Minimum 7 years' business experience with at least 3 year in a P2P or AP role
- Previous experience with invoice processing and issue resolution preferred
- Oil & Gas background including basic understanding of materials and services utilized in the Oil & Gas industry
- SAP experience preferred
- Electronic invoicing portal experience preferred; specifically Oildex
- Knowledge of accounting principles preferred
- Ability to research and interpret information and to act proactively to develop knowledge of the business and its activities
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and meet deadlines while working in a high volume, fast paced environment
- Strong problem solving skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills.
Marathon Oil – Where You Can Make A Difference
Marathon Oil became an independent E&P company on July 1, 2011. Based in Houston, we're focused on the most significant oil-rich resource plays in the U.S. -- the Eagle Ford in Texas, Permian in New Mexico, STACK and SCOOP in Oklahoma, and the Bakken in North Dakota. We also have international operations in Europe and Africa. While we feel like a start-up in many ways, our roots go back 130 years to our company's formation in 1887. Our stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol MRO.
We’re on a transformative path, with a variety of exceptional opportunities for people who are up to the challenge. If that’s you – if you’re seeking a challenge and ready to make a difference – you could be the right fit to help drive our future. Our U.S. exploration and development assets offer energy professionals exposure to projects from early-stage evaluation through production. Our producing international assets provide a broader perspective on the world’s energy challenges.
We have more than just opportunity to offer. We’re invested in equipping our people for an entire career – from advancing technical skills through to developing the leadership behaviors and skills that will take our business forward. Our competitive compensation and benefits package goes beyond the basics to include a wellness program, self-funded (with company match) and company-funded retirement plans, flexible hours in some positions and tuition reimbursement. Grow your career with us.
Marathon Oil is ranked in the Global Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.