The Chemist role ?maintain and develop expertise/knowledge in the analytical/process chemistry discipline and general unit support techniques. Support reliable operation of the laboratory and process units to meet production (quality), safety, environmental and margin requirements.
- This role will physically office at HLP but will report into the Americas Regional Product Manager's organization.
- The role is expected to travel up to 30% to other LOBPs for back-up coverage, regional support, change initiatives, etc. Travel could involve multiple weeks covering plant needs other than HLP.
- The role will require the candidate to be able to function as a lab manager during periods of Lab manager coverage at other NA LOBP's, thus taking on a position of leadership at other facilities during these times.
- Additional regional responsibilities could include taking on Quality type projects or process improvement roles to further standardize our Quality or product systems.
- This job is also developmental in nature as it will provide the candidate a good insight into the broader NA network of LOBP's and position the candidate for possible backfill to other LOBP lab manager positions.
- Purpose - HLP specific
- This position is a Chemist/Formulator role that is part of the Houston Lubricants Plant (HLP) team and is responsible for all aspects of the Quality Laboratory including equipment & personnel. The primary responsibility is to ensure efficient Laboratory operations that places priority on the receipt and release of high quality products, while incorporating Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) into all aspects of Laboratory processe
- Maintain formulations for all blended product, including but not limited to:
- Ensuring compliance with the Global Product Catalog (GPC) and Lubricants' Quality System (LQS)
- Ensuring input of all Start-Up Letters (SUL's) into the Global SAP
- Ensuring all hand blends are completed as required
- Supporting the Blending Department to ensure the use of proper techniques and sampling methodologies that yield a high
- Right First Time (RFT) blend percentage and ensure zero releases of non-conforming products
- Serve as the subject matter expert on cross-contamination and product compatibility
- Support HLP's registered Quality Systems including but not limited to:
- Overseeing of/or performing Calibrations, Repairs, and Maintenance of lab instruments
- Overseeing the inbound material inspection and testing process to ensure raw material receipts of acceptable quality
- Ensuring Lab Tech and Associate Chemist are fully trained on all test equipment and work instructions
- Deliver world-class results on quarterly, Round Robin, Lubricants Laboratory Correlation Scheme (LLCS) testing
- Daily supervision of Laboratory Personnel including, but not limited to:
- Effective administration of the Performance Development program to maximize employee attendance, conduct and performance
- Responsible for compliance with all Lab chemical storage and disposal requirements
- Maintain current chemical inventory list as required
- Ensure that Permit to Work and LOTO standards are followed in the Lab.
- Build and encourage teamwork emphasizing trust, integrity, inclusiveness and respect
- Support Shell Lubricants HSSE Management Systems by:
- Ensuring uninterrupted compliance with Federal, State and Local HSSE Regulations
- Encouraging HSSE participation by Laboratory employees to drive leading indicators
- Facilitating daily HSSE meetings & routine, area inspections
- Co-administering the permit-to-work and lockout tag-out processes
- Participating in HSSE audits, assessments and developing pertinent, corrective actions
- Leading and/or participating in incident and near miss incident investigations
- Leading and/or participating in Managements of Change (MOC)
- Conducting Job Safety Analyses (JSA's) where applicable
- Staying current on relevant HSSE trainings
- Incorporating the "HSSE Golden Rules" into all aspects of the Laboratory
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- BS/MS/PhD in Chemistry or equivalent is preferred.
- With at least two (2) years QC Lab experience is a must.
- Knowledge of Product and Product Quality Management is an advantage.
- A strong commitment to applying Health, Safety, Security and Environmental rules and regulations into all aspects of job performance.
- Strong supervisory skills over a represented work force.
- Good computer skills and familiarity with the Microsoft suite of products and SAP.
- Ability to mediate and resolve employee issues avoiding unnecessary escalation.
- The successful candidate will be a highly motivated, task-oriented person who works effectively under pressure and can manage a heavy workload within an expected, 40-hour work week.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.