Shell has an open Patent Agent position within Legal Services Intellectual Property (LSIP). The position shall report to a Managing Counsel in the Downstream IP organization led by the Associate General Counsel, Downstream IP.Purpose
The Patent Agent shall be responsible for a broad range of intellectual property services to one or more global Shell businesses. While patent drafting and prosecution is a key activity, the role expands into active participation in IP strategy definition, under the guidance of the Associate General Counsel/Managing Counsel and senior members of the team, and implementing the IP strategy in a broader context in order to support the business in achieving its goals with a clear commercial focus, collaborative mindset, and consciousness for cost and resources in the execution.Accountabilities
- Providing pro-active cost effective and efficient IP services tailored to the needs and priorities of one or more of Shell's businesses, including interacting and managing relationships globally with technical, business and legal personnel;
- Maintaining an understanding the relevant Shell businesses, including knowledge of relevant business and technology strategies, R&D activities and commercialization plans, portfolios of IP rights and assets;
- Collaborating with businesses and leadership to align IP strategies with business, technology and commercialization plans;
- Implementing IP strategies in a cost-and resource-efficient way by providing a broad range of IP advice and services, including the securing and maintaining of appropriate worldwide protection for Shell IP, drafting and prosecuting patent applications, advice on the protection of confidential information and trade secrets, publication strategies, etc.;
- Identifying IP risks to Shell businesses worldwide and managing them, where appropriate in collaboration with IP attorneys;
- Maintaining expertise in patent laws of home jurisdiction; demonstrating ability to work within a field characterized by much uncertainty; maintaining a working knowledge of patent laws, regulations and processes throughout the world;
- Following and mastering relevant technology developments, both internally and externally;
- Supporting the development of budgets and exercising appropriate control over internal and external costs;
- Demonstrating commercial acumen and drive to continuous improvement, working with business partners on opportunities to monetize or otherwise create tangible value from IP, exercising cost consciousness and value focus in both internal and external dimension of the work;
- Collaborating and networking, on a global scale, with patent and agreements attorneys in the LSIP team, members of the global Legal team and other global functions.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bio-Chemistry, Biology major in Microbiology, Petroleum Engineering or similar. Neighboring field such as Physics shall be considered.
- PhD preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years' experience managing, developing and prosecuting global patent portfolios.
- Technical background in chemical or experience in supporting chemical type of business required.
- USPTO Patent Bar registration required.
- Previous in-house experience preferred.
- Thorough understanding of U.S. patent law and good working knowledge of major foreign patent laws and practices.
- Result and value focused, able to manage priorities and deadlines under pressure, pro-active collaborator and business partner, providing actionable advice despite remaining uncertainties, commercial acumen.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.