Experience: 3 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Below are the background and skills that the holder of the SIS Legal Counsel position must possess in order to carry out the role:
- Legal Analysis, Drafting and Negotiation:
Analyzing legal risks associated with new offerings and assisting Software Products Management Teams with mitigating those risks.
- Developing and updating standard terms and conditions for software and services sales to take into account changes in underlying technologies, delivery methodologies, and ways to enhance the business model of software delivery.
- Drafting and negotiating key vendor alliances (marketing alliance, joint development agreements, reseller agreements, etc.).
- Negotiating multi-jurisdictional client agreements (e.g., Master Software License and Maintenance Agreements).
- Ensuring compliance with all software and IT related regulatory requirements, e.g. data protection, data residency, encryption, cybersecurity, discovery, certifications, etc.
- Working with the SIS Trade Compliance Manager to identify and manage trade compliance and export control issues related to the global distribution of SIS software products and services.
- Providing training on SIS and Schlumberger policies and procedures to SIS management and personnel.
- Conducting site audits, incident investigations, and contract reviews of SIS operations.
- Managing claims, disputes, litigation and, where applicable, coordinating litigation with the Litigation Department.
- Supervising outside counsel and overseeing the management of SIS related litigation.
Assistance and Support
- Working with the SIS Tax Manager and SIS Controller to identify and resolve tax and accounting issues associated with the global distribution of SIS software products and services.
- Providing legal assistance to SIS management in support of business goals and objectives.
- Assisting the SIS General Counsel with M&A and JV projects, including oversight of outside counsel, negotiation and drafting of M&A agreements, and due diligence.
- Assisting the SIS GC in supervision of outside counsel.
- Assisting the SIS GC in developing the legal framework to support SIS' commercial strategy.
- Providing support and guidance to new recruits or junior lawyers, as required.
- Preparing training materials and delivering training.
- Working closely with the SIS IP legal team on projects and transactions.
- Working closely with the SIS partnership director to manage and negotiate licenses and partnerships with third-party software providers.
- Active involved in SIS business strategy, planning and operations.
- Provides legal support for SIS technology centers as well as to the SIS marketing, sales and HR departments.
Qualifications/Professional Experience and Miscellaneous:
- Legal degree (JD or equivalent
- Bar admission, preferably U.S. (must have work permit)
- Law firm or in house background or both. If private practice, needs to be "solution-oriented" and the kind of person who goes after business and does not wait for it to appear in his/her in basket.
Minimum 3-6 years post qualification experience
Languages - Native English speaker, but additional languages, particularly Spanish, would be a plus
IT/Software background mandatory (industry flexible, maybe even better if not energy as this will add something new to the team)
- Experience of SaaS and Cloud computing issues.
- SIS is a sophisticated segment of business, so the successful candidate will be expected to invest time to understand the business and the culture
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship
Knowledge and Skills - Proficiency Level
- Substantive/technical legal skills - Excellent.
- Written, oral communication and presentation skills - Excellent.
- Organization skills - Excellent.
- Understanding of company policies - Excellent.
- People or interpersonal skills - Excellent.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and as part of management team - Excellent.
- Transactional experience including divestiture, mergers and acquisitions experience - Good.
- Able to manage a legal staff/department, including delegation of responsibilities, establishment of roles, and ongoing review - Good.
Budgeting skills - Good.
- Knowledge of local law - Good.
- Business oriented - finds creative and pragmatic solutions to business problems while securing company's interest.
- Ability to quickly learn SIS business, technology and strategies.
- Good development potential.
- Able to work under pressure with minimal supervision and deal with culturally diverse people.
- Able to respond to operational requirements on a timely basis, including outside of normal working hours when necessary and while traveling.
- High work ethics.
Working Conditions and Environment:
- The position is international, and the successful candidate must be able to travel to different locations in the world as required.
- The successful candidate must be willing to work extended hours, as required.
- Mobility to work in other areas of the world on a medium-term basis is a plus.
A few additional positives of this role:
- Very interesting, dynamic and rapidly evolving business
- Significant true diversity - multi-national employees which lends to a very rich environment
- High Ethics - Significant professional respect and integrity among co-workers
- Quality people.
Note of caution: Schlumberger is a truly global company. It is imperative that the successful candidate is able to work with colleagues from different backgrounds and cultures. It is equally imperative that the successful candidate understands and adapts to the way Schlumberger does things and the culture of the company (e.g., Schlumberger managers do not have personal assistants and do everything by themselves, a position in Schlumberger Legal is as big as the legal counsel makes it and so SLB lawyers are expected to actively engage with business managers, fully understand the business, ensure they have their seat at the decision table, etc.). Schlumberger is a company that encourages growth and learning, which, as a result, may change a role or location for each individual with the company. The successful candidate must understand that to take full advantage of a career in Schlumberger, one must be mobile.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
A tradition of excellence and innovation
We’re the world’s leading provider of integrated pore-to-pipeline technology solutions to the oil and gas industry. We’re also a leading employer in our sector—with a reputation for hiring the best and the brightest people and keeping them at the top of their game through rewarding career-long development opportunities.
Each day, in 85 countries, we help our customers find and produce oil and gas in ways that demonstrate respect for both people and the environment. Today’s industry challenges call for new ideas, techniques, and solutions. If you want to drive your career and want to grow with a company that’s embraced new ways of thinking since 1927, we may have the career for you.
Schlumberger is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.