San Francisco, California, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Skills: Accounting, Financial Analyst
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Shell Ventures, Shell's wholly-owned venture capital arm, invests in promising companies that want to solve the world's existing and future energy and mobility demands. We look for impactful technologies and business models that could be true needle movers for Shell.
Our team is looking to add an exceptional commercial finance professional at the Senior Investment Associate level. This person is generally the Finance Lead in the deal team with significant responsibility to support investment decisions through the entire venture capital lifecycle: evaluate prospective companies, work closely with Shell technical and business units, across Shell to assess strategic value, lead and manage financial due diligence, and be an instrumental part of the core investment team. The Senior Associate will have a valued voice in the investment decision process and work closely with the senior team members, providing key financial valuations, economic analyses and transaction support. The role has significant external focus: Shell Ventures interacts extensively in the external innovation ecosystem, including other corporate and independent VC firms, accelerators, start-ups and scale-ups.
The role will involve engaging with Shell businesses and functions to help understand existing and new business models and deployment opportunities, to support commercial decision making, risk and performance management, to provide transparency and enable business performance based on core finance skills in treasury, tax, controlling and accounting. The Senior Investment Associate connects with relevant areas including Finance in Integrated Gas, Projects and Technology, Downstream, Treasury, Group Reporting, Controllers, Tax, Financial Modelling Team and ensures a proper end to end transparency of cost and ensuring appropriate guidance to portfolio choices, from a Financial advice standpoint. The role will include working on deals for the wider New Energy business. Therefore it will be critical to take an integrative leadership role, drive collaboration and ensure that accountabilities are clear with focus on deliverables and outcomes.
- Opportunity Evaluation: Evaluate and recommend potential portfolio companies basing decisions on key qualitative and quantitative analysis. Key skills include financial modeling, valuation, capitalization table analysis, investment economics.
- Deal Delivery: Lead financial due diligence and completion support. Eager to build venture capital practices, including VC term sheets and entrepreneurial challenges.
- Internal: Liaise with other Finance functional areas, including Tax, Treasury, Controllers and Business Finance.
External: Remain up to date with external developments and trends in venture capital developments and practices. Stay in tune with the innovation ecosystem, including new technologies, market developments, new investment products, startup world and other macro-economic trends
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Post Graduate Degree in Finance (eg CPA, CMA or CFA) or Economics (e.g. financial MBA) is required.
- Minimum of eight (8) years overall working experience
- At least four (4) years of transaction background (e.g. M&A, PE/VC, Commercial Finance)
- Experience as CFO of a startup company or experience in power or mobility is preferred
- Significant experience in the following areas:
- Financial Modeling, Valuation and Analysis
- Mergers, Acquisition and Divestments
- Finance Input to Commercial Decisions
- Risk Management and Internal Control
- Business Partnering
- Strategy Development, Execution and Portfolio management
- Corporate Finance and Funding
- Governance and Assurance
- Financial Controls
- Commercial Contract Management
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video