Reporting to the Machinery Engineering Supervisor, this position will be filled by an experienced Machinery Engineer or Specialist
responsible to provide technical support for the operation, maintenance, and design of machinery, with a focus on pump seal reliability.
The role will support equipment across all Upgrading, Refinery, and Chemical Plant units of the Shell Scotford CompTelex.
The individual will be accountable to lead root cause analysis, define technical recommendations and associated business cases, and deliver improvements via changes to machinery operation, maintenance, and design. The individual will work directly with Machinery Engineering peers, other departments including Maintenance, Operations, and Projects, as well as EPC and vendor representatives, to drive the safe operation, diagnosis, repair, and enhancement of rotating equipment. Accountabilities:
- The primary focus will be to provide technical support for our current fast-paced program to implement large and small scale solutions to increase pump seal reliability.
- Evaluate historical information and technical documentation as well as execute field assessments to fully define current equipment condition, define and assess threats and opportunities, and develop and implement appropriate solutions.
- Play a key role in Project development and delivery, including Technical Specifications and Equipment selection support and review. Will also participate in commissioning and startup of new equipment.
- Identify and pursue reliability improvement and cost management initiatives related to machinery. Develop strategies and Projects to address reliability threats ("Bad Actor" equipment) within the Process units.
- Conduct failure analyses and causal investigation of machinery failures
- Work directly with original equipment manufacturers, vendors and service providers and drive continuous improvement in their performance.
- Contribute to and review new operating procedures and procedural changes specific to machinery.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In Canada, we have operated for over a century and are a major producer and marketer of oil, gas and petrochemicals, Canada's largest producer of sulphur and a significant oil sands developer. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future.Requirements
- 10-15 year's industrial experience with a minimum of 5 years' experience providing onsite technical direction, assurance, and support for the design, commissioning, operation, and maintenance of large rotating equipment/machinery in a petrochemical/refinery operating environment.
- Experienced Professional Engineer registered with or eligible for registration with APEGA with at least 5 years of Machinery / Rotating Equipment specialization OR
- Engineering Technologist with extensive knowledge and expertise applying machinery regulations, industry standards, and design and engineering practices OR
- Certified Journeyman Millwright with five or more years of technical experience in a Specialist / Inspector role and extensive knowledge and hands-on expertise applying machinery regulations, industry standards, and design and engineering practices
- Strong knowledge of rotating equipment engineering principles and industry standards (pumps, compressors, turbines)
- Strong knowledge of compressor and pump performance tools (PI, Bentley Nevada, CSI, oil analysis)
- Experience in pump seal and pump seal system troubleshooting, design modifications, and new designs
- Basic understanding of refinery processes and economics.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to lead through influence.
- Good presentation technical writing skills.
- Fluent in English with strong written and verbal communication
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.