The Process Control Engineer (PCE) is a member of the Process Automation Control & Optimization (PACO) Team within the Asset's Technology Department. This person provides overall technical support and assurance for the base layer process control (BPCS) and advanced process control (APC) system in the designated plant area. The Process Control Engineer also provides support to the Run and Maintain Control Systems Engineers in their day-to-day matters in managing the base layer controls, and mentors them and production operation teams on process control concepts, methods, and best practices. He/she is also responsible for providing review and approvals for the MOC related to process control improvements or changes.
The Process Control Engineer also manages fluctuating priorities, contributes to turnaround planning, supports APC implementation and unit optimization, and promotes long term improvement in the module process control performance.
The Process Control Engineer has a functional working knowledge of Safety Instrumented Systems and control systems applications and hardware, process operation and theory, operational goals, ESP alarm variables, process constraints, key quality specifications for feeds and products, impact on the environment, and major economic variables and how they impact site profitability and goals.
- Provides stable and reliable process control which maintains safe operation within the defined operating window, and avoids exceedance of safety, environmental, and operational limits.
- Participates in incident investigations where process control could have contributed to the event or where the process control system could effectively contribute to the investigation process. Shares LFIs and knowledge across site and business.
- Provides technical support and assurance during plant commissioning and start-up phase.
- Provides technical support to CSEs for run and maintain activities and turnaround planning (recommend, review and implement proposed solutions).
- Provides process control Technical Assurance for designated plant MOCs.
- Monitors process control performance for the module including Base Layer controller uptime, APC controller uptime against targets with application such as MDPro. Develops and implements improvement plans.
- Re-evaluates control approaches and performance due to changes in plant operating conditions.
- Manages fluctuating priorities dependent on current needs of active projects and MOCs.
- Assures that proper documentation for the process control systems (complex loops, tuning spreadsheet, CSE change log, etc.) in the module is maintained.
- Works with Production to ensure operating technicians, support engineers (process, control), inspectors, and production leadership understand function, capability, and limitations of controls and control systems.
- Supports control systems engineering activities during Execute and Operate phase in support of plant projects in assigned module.
- Understands Production priorities, work plans, procedures and goals, and how they fit with overall site plans, strategies and goals and offers guidance.
- Provides support as required for Core AMS work processes to Provide Asset Availability and Make Product: Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS), Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), Ensure Safe Production (ESP), Turnarounds (TA), Mitigate Threats to Availability (MTA), Greenhouse Gas and Energy Management (GHGEM); Management of Change (MOC), Perform Hydrocarbon and energy accounting (PHEA).
- Follows applicable standards, Shell approved technologies, procedures (DEPs, DSM, EFAs, TAMAP, local procedures/policies).
- Maintains consistency across all plant areas in implementing Shell Emerson MAC toolkit implementation.
- Supports the site Control Improvement Plan, in accordance with Global PACO (Base layer, APC, Infrastructure) and Shell Polymer's PACO strategy.
- Identifies and implements base layer control applications and advanced process control applications that focus on increased margin and energy reduction initiatives aligned with plant goals and targets (Carbon Energy Management Bad Actors, Variable Cost reduction, catalyst optimization).
- Assists in the development and implementation of Technology Plans (capital plans, infrastructure upgrades, reliability improvement strategies, Control Improvement Plan, etc) for safe, reliable, and efficient process automation, control, and optimization at the site.
- Identifies continuous improvement opportunities.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- BS/MS in Chemical, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with demonstrated knowledge of practical work experience in process automation and/or process control.
- At least ten (10) years of process automation, controls and instrumentation experience.
- Experience in an Olefins plant environment is required.
- Experience in project support and/or management.
- Experience with Emerson DeltaV system is a plus.
- Experience with Advanced Process Control Applications (multivariable control, complex control loops, control logic)
- Knowledge of safety reviews (PHA, HEMP-LOPA, etc.) with participation is a plus.
- Extensive Knowledge of Process safety basic requirements and HEMP processes.
- Extensive knowledge on industry standards in PACO areas.
- Demonstrated analytical and decision making skills.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Ability to cope with a variety of issues and situations.
- Able to work with diverse groups.
- Good communication skills (Oral/Written).
- Good work planning skills
- Displays Leadership Attributes for Individual Performers with demonstration of self-directing and results oriented attitude. This person must have the ability to handle multiple tasks with competing priorities while collaborating with the growing Penn Chem Asset and developing roadmap and skillsets to support his/her discipline
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.