The Martinez Refinery refines and markets gasoline and other petroleum products under the Shell brand name throughout the West and northern Midwest, providing product to Shell-branded retail outlets.
Refinery Machinists and Millwrights repair and maintain process equipment. This includes disassembling/assembling equipment, machining and fabrication of part, troubleshooting, and overall maintenance of equipment. Repairs and troubleshooting may be done on equipment such as pumps, compressors, fans, valves, blowers, conveyors, gearboxes, and turbines. Fabrication and machining would be accomplished using such machines as lathes, vertical and horizontal mills.
Specific duties include:
- Calculate dimensions or tolerances, using instruments such as micrometers or vernier calipers.
- Machine parts to specifications, using machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, or grinders.
- Set up, adjust, or operate basic or specialized machine tools used to perform precision machining operations.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, or materials onto machines.
- Measure, examine, or test completed units to check for defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments, such as micrometers.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Maintain machine tools in proper operational condition.
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, or engineering information to determine methods or sequences of operations needed to fabricate products.
- Operate equipment to verify operational efficiency.
- Check work pieces to ensure that they are properly lubricated or cooled.
- Insert shims, adjust tension on nuts and bolts, or position parts, using hand tools and measuring instruments, to set specified clearances between moving and stationary parts.
- Align machines and equipment, using hoists, jacks, hand tools, squares, rules, micrometers, plumb bobs and laser alignment.
- Assemble and install equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Lay out mounting holes, using measuring instruments, and drill holes with power drill.
- Signal crane operator to lower basic assembly units to bedplate, and align unit to centerline.
- Replace defective parts of machine or adjust clearances and alignment of moving parts.
- Level bedplate and establish centerline, using straightedge, levels, and transit.
- Dismantle machines, using hammers, wrenches, crowbars, and other hand tools.
- Attach moving parts and subassemblies to basic assembly unit, using hand tools and power tools.
- Move machinery and equipment, using hoists, dollies, rollers, and trucks
- Repair or maintain the operating condition of industrial production or processing machinery or equipment.
- Repair or replace broken or malfunctioning components of machinery or equipment.
- Disassemble machinery or equipment to remove parts and make repairs.
- Observe and test the operation of machinery or equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using voltmeters or other testing devices.
- Reassemble equipment after completion of inspections, testing, or repairs.
- Clean, lubricate, or adjust parts, equipment, or machinery.
- Examine parts for defects, such as breakage or excessive wear.
- Operate newly repaired machinery or equipment to verify the adequacy of repairs.
- Analyze test results, machine error messages, or information obtained from operators to diagnose equipment problems.
- Record parts or materials used and order or requisition new parts or materials as necessary.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without the requirement of a work visa
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have the minimum of a high school diploma or GED
- Must be able to read, write and speak English proficiently
- Willing to work outside in inclement weather with or without accommodation
- Willing to work in compact and confined spaces with or without accommodation
- Willing to climb ladders, walk up and down steps, and work at heights with or without accommodation
- Able to work while wearing a respirator or Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- Willing to work overtime, holidays, nights, and weekends
- Willing to work at least 12 consecutive hours
- Willing to be on call and meet call-out standards to respond to site responsibilities and emergencies
- Possess a current, valid license to operate a motor vehicle in the United States
- Must currently hold or be able to qualify to receive a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card. Note, information regarding TWIC qualification standards may be found at https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic
- As a part of the pre-employment selection process, candidates are required to submit to and receive satisfactory results from all pre-employment background, drug, medical, and reference checks, including hair and oral fluids drug testing
- Willing to support the company's drug-free work environment, which will include random drug screenings
- Willing to support and comply with the company's harassment-free work environment policy
- Willing to support and comply with the company's safety policies and initiatives
- Willing to support and comply with the company's diversity and inclusion work environment policies
- Willing to attend and achieve satisfactory results on pre-employment testing
- Must possess one of the following in a Mechanical discipline:
- Military Maintenance School
- Union or Company Apprenticeship
- State Journey-level Certification
- Minimum 4 years mechanical work experienced ALSO required
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.