Job Description Purpose
The Instrument Inspector is a member of the Process Automation Control & Optimization (PACO) Team within the Asset's Technology Department. The Instrument Inspector will work closely with and share responsibility with the Senior Instrument Engineers and Instrument Specialists for the overall technical assurance of the plant Instrumentation. This role will participate in instrument pre-commissioning & commissioning activities with the project team and is pivotal to the successful commissioning of the plant automation system during the project phase. During the run and maintain phase, this individual's focus will be day-to-day 2nd level maintenance technical support for complex situational and reliability problems related to field instrumentation. This individual will work closely with the Instrument Maintenance Team to support effective and cost-efficient Instrument maintenance campaign.Responsibilities:
- The Inspector will act as a direct liaison between the technology and maintenance organizations. He/she is expected to take a lead role in troubleshooting, determining root cause of complex field instrumentation failures, data acquisition problems and developing technically sound solutions.
- The Inspector will support and assist in establishing and maintaining PM library and will contribute to develop detailed preventative maintenance procedures for field instrumentation and 3rd package systems.
- Will bring forward and implement programs/procedures to maintain field instrumentation reliability.
- Condition monitoring and predictive analysis/maintenance recommendations with Instrument Asset Management System (iAMS) or other data acquisition systems.
- The Inspector will be responsible for the execution of the Management of Change work process for reliability related improvements/changes with approval of Sr. Instrument Engineer.
- Participates in incident investigations related to field instrumentation.
- Contributes directly to finding root cause and resolution of bad actors.
- Acts as mentor and 2nd level support to Instrument maintenance technicians.
- Active in developing training material for I&E technicians.
- Continue to meet existing industry standards as well as changing requirements from Regulatory and recognized governing Industry Standards (e.g. IEC-61511).
- Recommends equipment upgrades and replacements when situations warrant it, such as high cost of maintainability, Obsolescence, loss of vendor support, more effective technological breakthroughs, etc.
- Participates in Factory Acceptance Tests & Site Acceptance Tests (as required)
- Responsible for maintaining the central repository for instrument database (SPI) with data sheets, wiring drawings, etc.
- Support for setting-up and maintaining the instrument Function Location (FLOC) structure in GSAP with right hierarchy and cost centers.
- Works with maintenance personnel to capture the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for instrumentation based on maintenance and overall performance.
- Shares in the collective responsibility of ensuring instrument reliability and correct instrument configurations in the site's iAMS system.
- May be called in outside normal working hours to assist Instrument maintenance technicians as emergency situations occur.
Multiple positions exist to support different plant production units such as Ethylene cracker, polyethylene, Cogen, utilities, storage & logistics.
These positions have cross-site influence and progresses / champions a site strategic vision within the PACO discipline. The person in this role will adhere to the Shell Polymers Core Values i.e. Customer Centricity, ownership, innovation, partnership and Communityship with the ultimate vision of the asset team to be the unrivaled polyethylene manufacturer.
Responsible for reliability and overall manage equipment care (MEC) in a process unit for a multitude of field instrumentation and different measurement technologies; not limited to Pressure, flow, level, temperature, density, speed, vibration, weight measurement, signal conditioning systems, data acquisition systems, control valves, automated on/off valves, motor control starters, fire & gas detectors. The person is also responsible for 2nd level troubleshooting support of instrument interfaces with Plant Distributed Control System, Safety Instrumented System and several other PLC/Controllers.
Extensive focus will be on condition monitoring / predictive maintenance for instrumentation and control systems.Company Description
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Associates or equivalent degree in chemical, electrical, mechanical or Instrumentation with demonstrated leadership, knowledge and practical field instrumentation experience.
- At least ten (10) years of experience with different type of field instrumentation, basic process control system (BPCS), Safety Instrumented System (SIS), environmental condition monitoring systems and Instrument Asset Management System (iAMS).
- Experience with maintaining and calibrating the Safety Instrumented Functions (SIFs)/SIL instrument loops, final control elements (on/off valves, control valves, louvers, motor starters, etc.), fire & gas detectors, custody transfer measurement, weight scales/load cells is a plus.
- Experience in a downstream manufacturing or technical support environment.
- Experience in Olefins plants and/or in the polymer plants is a plus.
- Knowledge of industry standards in Instrumentation and control systems area.
- Knowledge of different industry protocols for field instruments such as HART, Modbus, Profibus, etc.
- Demonstrated analytical and decision making skills.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Ability to cope with a variety of issues and situations.
- Able to work with diverse groups.
- Good communication skills (Oral/Written).
- Good work planning skills; mainly around scheduling and optimizing Instrumentation PMs.
- Displays Leadership Attributes for Individual Performers with demonstration of self-directing and results oriented attitude.
- This person must have the ability to handle multiple tasks with competing priorities while collaborating with the growing asset team and developing roadmap and skillsets to support his/her discipline.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.