Skills: IT - Analysis & Management
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Perth, Western Australia, Australia
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Chevron Australia has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Data Scientist to join its Data Science program. Based in Perth, this is a two-year maximum term role and will report to the Advisor, Digital Transformation.
Chevron Australia's Data Science program is a key business initiative adding significant value in one of the company's most strategic assets. This Senior Data Scientist role is pivotal in taking our program to the next level. The role will partner with the business to identify opportunities for application of analytic tools and data science to deliver business value. The successful candidate will have the skills to design, prototype, create and support analytical solutions and insights.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and deliver projects across the business unit that are complex, challenging, highly rewarding and make a real difference to Chevron Australia's performance metrics
- Manage external data science vendors for specific projects
- Build business knowledge, engage with stakeholders and drive identification of data science opportunities
- Further build organisational capability through training, mentoring, and coaching
- Build-out initiatives to improve access to production data and advanced analytics
- Engage with leadership to build fluency in data science
- Develop partnerships with and leverage opportunities from other Chevron business units to deliver value locally
- Identify, frame and deliver opportunities to apply advanced analytics, modelling, and related technologies to help gain insights and improve decision-making, work flow and automation
- Identify necessary data and appropriate technology to solve business challenges
- Clean data, develop models, implement testing, and deliver operational models
- Establish life-cycle management process for models
- Engage business regularly to share team accomplishments and identify new opportunities
- Provide technical training and mentoring in modelling and analytics technologies, the modelling process and general consulting skills
Key skills and experience required:
- Master of Science degree in Operations Research, Computer Science, Mathematics or Engineering required
- Extensive experience in applying advanced analytics techniques with a track record of results
- Demonstrated depth and experience in advanced analytics technologies (e.g. data science), experience implementing advanced analytics projects, working knowledge of Hadoop and tools in its ecosystem, proficiency in Python, R, and SQL preferred
- Ability to engage business and technical experts at all organisational levels and assess opportunities to apply data science analytics to their work - improving workflows and delivering information and insights to support decision-making
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the oil and gas industry
- Ability to build collaborative relationships across functional and geographic areas to plan, facilitate, and develop advanced analytics solutions that deliver business results
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner both written and oral. Listens carefully and asks questions to understand the views, concerns, and comments of others.
- Proven experience influencing stakeholders from diverse areas of the business on the value proposition of data science
- Demonstrated commitment to Chevron's values of diversity and inclusion, high performance, integrity and trust, partnership and protecting people and the environment
Why join Chevron:
- Chevron is one of the world's leading integrated energy companies and has been present in Australia for more than 60 years
- You will be provided a competitive package and an opportunity to contribute to two of Australia's largest oil and gas projects
- Chevron offers career development opportunities to all employees including onboarding, training and development, mentoring, volunteering opportunities and networking groups
- Chevron is proudly recognised as an employer of choice, guided by a vision of diversity, inclusion and committed to equal employment opportunity
- Chevron supports work-life balance and offers employees access to various health and wellness programs
- A nine-day fortnight is offered for eligible roles
We actively encourage applications from Australian Aboriginals, women, mature age applicants, candidates with disabilities and those with diverse cultural backgrounds. To be a part of our success, apply now.
Position Close Date: Wednesday 8 May 2019, 3pm WST
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.