Skills: Research & Development, Chemist
Experience: 2 + Years
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Richmond, California, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Research Chemist - Lubrication located in Richmond, CA through March 26, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
The Research Chemist-Lubrication is a member of the Component Performance and Fundamental Testing Team at the Richmond Technology Center. The Chemist in this position will serve as our subject matter expert in performance evaluation of lubricant oxidation resistance and reduction of carbonaceous deposit formation, and lubricant additive and base oil effects on that performance.
This Chemist's primary responsibilities are design and hands-on execution of laboratory tests and analyses of lubricant and additive resistance to oxidation and reduction of deposit formation, including research on mechanisms and kinetics of these processes in complex mixtures.
The Chemist plans and conducts these laboratory-based performance evaluations and mechanistic studies in close collaboration with expert lubricant additive and formulation developers, to help accelerate product development, problem-solving, and commercialization by simulation and understanding of engine performance.
No chemical synthesis or process engineering is involved. Applications focused exclusively on candidate capabilities in those areas will be considered nonresponsive.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Design and interpret the results of short- and long-term test and research programs that determine additive effects on lubricant oxidation and deposit formation, both to meet performance targets and to advance fundamental understanding. Conduct these tests and analyses hands-on in the laboratory.
- Design and demonstrate improved test methods for oxidation resistance and deposit formation to better predict performance in engine tests
- Understand and advance knowledge of test methods, their uses, and additive chemical mechanisms/kinetics, to scientifically understand and model lubricant oxidation and deposit formation performance
- Proactively develop working relationships with Chevron Oronite lubricant additive and formulation developers, and clearly understand their project objectives, to design efficient and effective laboratory test, evaluation and research programs
- Conduct multiple simultaneous projects and communicate status and results in an agreed-upon timely manner
- Establish visibility as a technical expert and resource within the Company in oxidation and deposit testing and fundamental knowledge, and serve as a resource to the Team in chemistry
- Communicate oxidation and deposit evaluation capabilities within Oronite and champion improved capabilities
- Daily supervise and mentor a laboratory technician in oxidation and deposit performance evaluation
- PhD degree in Chemistry
- Successful research, development, and problem-solving experience, with a high level of technical competence in areas demonstrably relevant to tests and performance mechanisms of oxidative decomposition and its inhibition in liquid organic mixtures
- Knowledge of organic compound oxidation and deposit formation, and its inhibition
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems, plan and organize multiple projects, innovate in laboratory methodologies, and apply fundamental knowledge to expedite solution of practical problems
- Demonstrated ability to effectively partner with technical professionals, understand diverse project team objectives, and satisfy both urgent and long-term needs of multiple stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in face-to-face meetings, presentations, and reports
- Exemplification of world-class safe work practices
- Two or more years of post-PhD research experience
- Direct experience in high-temperature liquid phase inhibition of oxidation and reduction of carbonaceous deposit formation from organic mixtures, or lubricant additive mechanism of action and performance testing
- Experience in or with the lubricant industry, or experience/knowledge of lubricants, additive mechanism of action, and oxidation/deposit performance testing
- Experience conducting structure-mechanism-performance studies
- Knowledge/experience in determination of corrosion performance of lubricants or additives
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.