Experience: 7 + Years
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Labor and Employment Attorney
Marathon Oil became an independent E&P company on July 1, 2011. Based in Houston, we're focused on the most significant oil-rich resource plays in the U.S. - the Eagle Ford in Texas, the Bakken in North Dakota, the Northern Delaware in New Mexico, and STACK and SCOOP in Oklahoma. We also have international operations in Africa and Europe. Our stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol: MRO.
This position serves primarily as Marathon's first-line Employment Law attorney, including international employment-law matters (Equatorial Guinea); and will also include responsibility for a variety of commercial litigation matters. This position is for an experienced employment attorney with seven (7) or more years of experience in employment litigation and counseling. Prior-experience as an in-house attorney and in commercial litigation matters is a plus.
In addition to handling some state and federal court commercial litigation, the successful candidate will be the first-line attorney to provide professional, timely, cost effective and practical:
- counseling/training on all aspects of employment law, including Title VII, ADA, ADEA, FLSA, WARN, FMLA, NRLA, and other employment laws;
- legal advice related to recruiting, discipline, terminations;
- privileged employment-related internal investigations;
- advice on government contractor compliance (e.g. adverse impact/compensation analysis and affirmative action plans); and representation before the EEOC & DOL (including state agency equivalents and preparation of position statements).
This position reports to the Assistant General Counsel, Law - Litigation and Labor/Employment, located in Houston, Texas.
Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- J.D. from an accredited law school required.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience as a labor and employment attorney preferred.
- Licensed to practice law in Texas, or able to obtain license in a reasonable timeframe.
- Law firm experience, tempered by time spent as in-house counsel, is preferred.
- Advanced subject matter expertise related to federal and state labor and employment laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, ADA, ADEA, FLSA, WARN, FMLA, NLRA, and comparable state statutes.
- Experience with federal and state regulatory agencies including mediations/position statement filings with the EEOC; and DOL/OFCCP audits.
- Expert-level knowledge sufficient to provide practical advice and counsel regarding a wide range of workplace issues, including recruitment, employee relations, accommodations, employee leave, investigations, employment agreements, reductions-in-force and employment policies.
- Strong negotiation and counseling skills.
- The candidate should have a sound ability to provide concise, accurate, and up to date legal advice in a commercial environment.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and negotiation skills and ability to distil complex legal concepts into pragmatic and user-friendly advice.
- Ability to collaborate well in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently without the assistance of outside counsel.
- Ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate flexibility.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, including with senior level executives and overseas colleagues.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ability to travel to Equatorial Guinea and various US locations as needed.
Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) is an independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company based in Houston, Texas. With a material position in four of the best oil-rich U.S. resource plays in different stages of development, we offer a variety of career opportunities, whether you're a recent college graduate or an experienced professional. You'll have the tools to develop and refine the skills and knowledge you need to succeed.
Marathon Oil Company will take the necessary action to ensure that applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or other protected status under applicable employment law.
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
Posting Notes: || Houston || US000 || United States (US) || Not Applicable; SF:DI; SF:GH; SF:LI; SF:MN; SF:RZ || Other Corporate Functions || Not Applicable || || 29848 ||
Marathon Oil – Where You Can Make A Difference
Marathon Oil became an independent E&P company on July 1, 2011. Based in Houston, we're focused on the most significant oil-rich resource plays in the U.S. -- the Eagle Ford in Texas, Permian in New Mexico, STACK and SCOOP in Oklahoma, and the Bakken in North Dakota. We also have international operations in Europe and Africa. While we feel like a start-up in many ways, our roots go back 130 years to our company's formation in 1887. Our stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol MRO.
We’re on a transformative path, with a variety of exceptional opportunities for people who are up to the challenge. If that’s you – if you’re seeking a challenge and ready to make a difference – you could be the right fit to help drive our future. Our U.S. exploration and development assets offer energy professionals exposure to projects from early-stage evaluation through production. Our producing international assets provide a broader perspective on the world’s energy challenges.
We have more than just opportunity to offer. We’re invested in equipping our people for an entire career – from advancing technical skills through to developing the leadership behaviors and skills that will take our business forward. Our competitive compensation and benefits package goes beyond the basics to include a wellness program, self-funded (with company match) and company-funded retirement plans, flexible hours in some positions and tuition reimbursement. Grow your career with us.
Marathon Oil is ranked in the Global Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.