Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Richmond, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 48,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Research Chemist located in Richmond, CA through March 25, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Chevron Oronite is currently seeking a synthetic organic chemist to discover and synthesize new additive molecules following world-class safety and environmental processes. Position requires a broad range of chemistry skills including: organic and organometallic synthesis, physical chemistry, analytical and instrumental analysis. Selected candidate will work closely with business and other technical groups in the application of chemistry to help evaluate performance of candidate additives and their manufacture as well as address product stewardship and intellectual property issues related to their commercialization.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Develop new or improved detergent, dispersant, inhibitor, or fuel additive molecules to meet specific performance targets or to advance fundamental understanding
- Follow processes which insure that work is conducted in the safest and most environmentally sound manner
- Conduct and/or interpret analyses of synthesized materials to understand their molecular structure
- Perform literature and patent searches in support of research; write comprehensive research reports; give oral presentations of work
- Interact with process development engineers, manufacturing technical and operations, product stewardship, and intellectual property functions to provide chemistry support for initial production and application of new molecules
- Discuss performance test results with business and other technical teams in order to refine the molecular structure and/or synthetic process and to improve existing materials to improve their performance
- Create intellectual property through invention disclosures, patent applications, and publications
- Provide work direction to one or more laboratory assistants
- Completed PhD degree in Chemistry with experience in the organic synthesis of low molecular weight compounds
- Competency in safety and OE-related areas, safe laboratory protocols, and prudent lab practices
- Demonstrated experience in research with a high level of technical competency related to organic chemical synthesis, chemical analysis, and scale-up of chemical processes
- Demonstrated understanding of product stewardship principles
- Demonstrated experience in developing intellectual property through patenting and Freedom to Operate
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex issues, analyze data, and problem-solving through innovation, creativity, persistence, and negotiation
- Demonstrated prioritization, organization, attention to detail and multi-tasking skills
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills in face-to-face meetings, presentations, written and verbal correspondence, written research reports, and published reports or articles
- Demonstrated ability to direct the work of lab assistants, and effectively interface/consult/collaborate with technical professionals and service providers and demonstrated skills in partnership, leadership, and teamwork in accordance with Chevron's standard of high ethical, professional, and safe behaviors
Relocation will be considered.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.