Houston, Texas, United States
Houston, Texas, United States
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Nabors Industries owns and operates one of the world's largest land-based drilling rig fleet and is a provider of offshore drilling rigs in the United States and multiple international markets. Nabors also provides directional drilling services, performance tools, and innovative technologies for its own rig fleet and those of third parties. Leveraging our advanced drilling automation capabilities, Nabors' highly skilled workforce continues to set new standards for operational excellence and transform our industry.
The Senior Director of Software Engineering is responsible for design and development of drilling solutions and rig automation systems that results in improvements in safety, efficiency and cost reduction for the drilling industry and its customers. This candidate will optimize the overall capability of the Company's global operations and ultimately be responsible for the direction, strategy, planning and execution for software engineering.
This individual is also accountable for the overall management of internal and external resources in the design, development and testing of drilling solutions, with special emphasis on real-time data collection, processing, visualization, analytics, etc. that are both Cloud and Edge based and their eventual commercialization and transition to filed deployment. Responsibilities also include ensuring the identification, capture/documentation and management of all Intellectual Property (IP) developed in the pursuit of problem solving solutions and proto-type development in drilling software engineering.
The ideal candidate will be completely accountable for all the respective products and solutions and report to Chief Digital Officer. The role requires someone who is comfortable working in a dynamic, collaborative, fast paced and high pressure environment with visionary and dedicated leadership team, and requires strong project and people management skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish technical strategy for the drilling applications and develop product roadmaps that are aligned with company goals.
- Responsible for the day to day execution of specified products and their associated costs, ensuring on-time and at-budget product launch, while meeting all technical and contractual requirements.
- Innovate, perform R&D within software engineering and make recommendations for future technologies.
- Partner with all business stakeholders and collaborate closely with Product Champions, Controls Systems, IT, and other teams to ensure integrity and compliance of project deliveries and innovative solutions that drive customer value and company profitability.
- Provide advice on the prioritization of tasks, deliverables and resource across the portfolio of work scopes.
- Act as change catalyst to improve solution development processes; Upgrade the skills of the team through constant coaching and targeted recruiting with the goal to achieve world-class software engineering capabilities.
- Improve key processes and drive metrics driven decisions under software engineering optimization - including but not limited to reducing time-to-market, implementation of practices to measure design for sustainability and quality, and driving down cost to deliver and support while maintaining innovation to solve complex drilling problems.
- Facilitate technical reviews and briefings and strategic planning with other functional areas or upper management.
- Participate in industry groups such as IADC, SPE. Public and present papers accordingly.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
- Bachelor of Science degree in the field of Computer Science or Engineering (Masters is a plus).
- Minimum 10 years software engineering experience in the senior management/leadership of the design and development of drilling solutions and control systems, 8+ years of software development experience within the drilling industry, and 5+ years' experience managing teams with global scope.
- Thorough understanding of well plan/design, drilling, drilling equipment and technology along with strong solution and process orientation.
- Hands-on design, delivery and support expertise in large scale end-to-end complex drilling systems with solution life-cycle methodologies.
- Demonstrated project management, outstanding leadership and vision skills with effective time management skills to ensure meeting project deadlines.
- Ability to build, manage and develop a technical staff with proven ability to drive measurable and effective software development and performance.
- Knowledge of terminology and standards applicable to the oil and gas industry and the ability to research as required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Flexibility and the capacity to handle wide range of situations and personalities. Sound problem-solving skills in both functional areas of operations and interpersonal relationship management.
- Culturally competent with an inclusive mindset and ability to lead through adversity, push status quo, and motivate/influence othersAbility to research, compile, analyze and prepare reports suitable for presentation to senior management within required time frames
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
- Office environment
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and use hands.
Today, Nabors owns and operates the world’s largest land-based drilling rig fleet and is a leading provider of offshore platform workover and drilling rigs in the United States and numerous international markets. With operations in 28 countries, Nabors also provides directional drilling services, performance tools and innovative technologies throughout many of the most significant oil and gas markets. Leveraging our advanced drilling automation capabilities, Nabors’ highly skilled workforce continues to set new standards for operational excellence and transform our industry.
As of April 16, 2018, Nabors’ assets include:
- 407 land drilling rigs
- 31 offshore platform rigs
Nabors is ranked in the Global Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.