Shell is seeking students currently enrolled in, or recent graduates from, an approved Instrument or Electrical Technology program to fill intern positions. It is important to note that interns will be employed by a contract company and will not be considered as Shell employees during the internship period.
The intern will be assigned a mentor to assist with personal goal setting for the internship. The internship will include awareness training and an orientation to Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE) regulations at the Martinez Refinery.
During the course of the internship, the intern will participate in the following:
- Safety and Team Meetings
- Work with Instrument Technicians performing preventative maintenance
- Work with Instrument Technicians to perform troubleshooting and instrument repairs
- Work with Electricians to perform preventative maintenance
- Work with Electricians to perform troubleshooting and repairs
- Work with Analyzer Technicians performing preventative maintenance
- An overview of the plant Distributed Control System (DCS)
- Shadow Plant Operators
- Shadow a Laboratory Technician
- Shadow a Health and Safety Inspector
- Observe an Instrument Technician testing an Instrument Protective Function (IPF)
- Participate in Lock-out/Tag-out process
During the course of the internship, the intern will be required to demonstrate the following:
- Facilitate a morning safety meeting
- Calibrate a DP transmitter
- Calibrate a control valve positioner
- Calibrate a level transmitter
- Progress made on all goals set at beginning of internship
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
To be eligible for the internship, you must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale and either:
- be within 12 months to completing a degree in Instrument/Electrical Technology, or
- have earned your degree within 3 months prior to the internship start date
In addition to the academic requirements listed above, applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis
- Must possess or be able to meet the requirements to obtain a valid TWIC card
- Possess a valid certificate of completion from one of the following by the start of the internship:
- Willingness to take and achieve satisfactory results on Shell's pre-employment testing battery
- Willingness to support Shell's safety policies and safe working practices
- Willingness to support Shell's drug-free and harassment-free work environment
- Must be at least 18 years old prior to starting the internship
- Willingness to work at heights, walk on high elevation grating, walk up and down stairs and work in confined spaces and outdoors with or without accommodation
- Must be able to read, speak, and write English fluently
- Willing to achieve satisfactory results on pre-employment testing
- Must be willing to work in the Martinez refinery in Martinez, California
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.