Shell is seeking students currently enrolled in, or recent graduates from an approved Mechanical Technology program to fill intern positions. It is important to note that interns will be employed by a contract company and will not be considered as Shell employees during the internship period.
The intern will be assigned a mentor to assist with personal goal setting for the internship. The internship will include awareness training and an orientation to Health, Safety, Security and Environmental (HSSE) regulations at the Martinez Refinery.
During the course of the internship, you will participate in the following:
- Safety and Team Meetings
- Work with Machinery Mechanics (field) performing preventative maintenance
- Work with Machinery Mechanic (shop) to disassemble and inspect a pump
- Work with Machinery Mechanic (field) to pull and install a pump
- Work with Machinery Mechanic (shop) to fabricate pump parts
- Work with Machinery Mechanic (shop) to balance a rotor
- Work with Machinery Mechanic (shop) to assemble a pump
- Work with Machinery Mechanic (shop) on valve repairs
- Shadow Plant Operators
- Shadow a Laboratory Technician
- Shadow a Health and Safety Inspector
- Shadow a Mechanical Inspector (field)
- Complete a simulation pump history in SAP
- Participate in Lock-out/Tag-out process
Monday-Thursday (7:00 am-4:30 pm) and every other Friday (7:00 am-3:30 pm)Company Description
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
To be eligible for the internship, you must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale and either:
- be within 12 months of earning an Associates Degree from an accredited Mechanical program, or
- have already earned your degree within 6 months prior to the internship start date.
In addition to the academic requirements listed above, applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without the requirement of a work visa
- Must possess a valid BATC Card prior to starting the internship
- Must be at least 18 years' old
- Willing to work outside in inclement weather with or without accommodation
- Willing to work in compact and confined spaces with or without accommodation
- Willing to climb ladders, walk up and down steps, and work at heights with or without accommodation
- Willing to respond to emergencies as part of the Emergency Response Team with or without accommodation
- To attend to emergencies, successful candidates must reside within 60 minutes of the site, or be willing to relocate to within 60 minutes of the site without relocation assistance
- Willing to work overtime, holidays, nights, and weekends
- Must currently hold or be able to qualify to receive a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card. Note, information regarding TWIC qualification standards may be found at https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic
- As a part of the pre-employment selection process, candidates are required to submit to and receive satisfactory results from all pre-employment medical screening, background check, and drug tests including hair and oral fluids
- Willing to support the company's drug-free work environment, which will include random drug screenings
- Willing to support and comply with the company's harassment-free work environment policy
- Willing to support and comply with the company's safety policies and initiatives
- Willing to support and comply with the company's diversity and inclusion work environment policies
- Willing to attend and achieve satisfactory results on pre-employment testing
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.