Skills: Production Operator
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: El Segundo, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Operator Trainee located in El Segundo, California through March 24, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Requisition ID # 399824
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Serves as an Operator Trainee at the El Segundo Refinery
- Operates on shift, assigned processing, treating, and/or stock handling equipment either manually or with instrumentation
- Operates furnaces, pumps, compressors that process raw materials, feedstocks and product transfers
- Performs other assigned duties such as maintenance, repairs, housekeeping and emergency response requirements
- This position requires driving on a routine basis
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Minimum of two years of any type of work experience. Military experience is counted as work experience.
- Valid Driver's License
- Must be able to work a rotating 12-hour shift, overtime as required and on-call
- This is a Safety Sensitive Position. Candidates must demonstrate personal commitment to Incident and Injury Free Operations with a proven track record in Safety and Reliability.
- Associate's/Technical Degree from a Process Technology Program
- Previous Operating or Refinery Experience
- Demonstrates knowledge of the assigned processing unit and has the ability to relate it to others
- Displays a comprehensive understanding of refinery policies and procedures
- Demonstrates ability to be a problem solver
- Able to grasp complex issues and apply good problem solving skills to develop recommendations/solutions
- Able to remove roadblocks and consider alternative approaches to arrive at workable solutions
- Looks for opportunities to increase efficiency and reduce costs
- Able to build rapport and establish positive working relationships both internally and externally to Chevron
- Efficiently and effectively takes actions to meet customer needs
- Responds and follows up on requests quickly and efficiently
- Uses feedback to monitor and address customer concerns
- Ability to work closely within a group and with other departments to set priorities, coordinate and follow up on business objectives
- Ability to effectively utilize computer tools
- Must be able to work independently, take initiative and act on opportunities
- Ability to plan and organize own work
- Ability to multi-task with changing priorities and assignments
If selected to participate in the Chevron IAB on-line test, you will be required to take the following battery of tests:
Industrial Information Test
Measures the ability to read, understand, and use information in graphs, charts, tables, and written passages to solve problems.
Mechanical Aptitude Assessment
Measures the ability to apply general mechanical principles to understand and solve problem situations.
Workplace Attitude and Behavior Inventory
Measures personal characteristics important to success in the job applied for.
You will be immediately directed to the testing portal upon submittal of your application, at which point you will have 72 hours to complete the on-line assessment. The duration of the assessment is approximately 2 hours. The assessment can also be accessed from your Chevron profile under "Job Management" or via the link sent to your email.
Your assessment score will be valid for 365 days from the day you complete your on-line assessment.
Chevron's tests are focused on industrial aptitudes. However, Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test preparation guides may be helpful in preparation for these tests. Candidates should focus on mechanical aptitude, reading comprehension, understanding information in tables and graphs, and understanding industrial math.
Relocation will not be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.