Experience: 7 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: The Woodlands, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The Director of Legal Operations will have a unique opportunity to contribute to building a world class Legal Department at Anadarko. We are looking for an experienced leader who can evaluate the current functioning of the Legal Department; assess overall departmental needs going forward; and manage an integrated Legal Operations function that will partner closely with Legal Department leadership to enhance efficiency and implement state-of-the-art legal processes and tools. The Director of Legal Operations will be expected to work closely with every member of the Legal Department to develop the relationships and workflows required for the success of the Legal Operations function, as well as provide proactive, solution-based approaches to Legal Department issues and initiatives.
- 7-10 years of experience working with legal departments or in the operationsarea
- Legal Operations experience is strongly preferred, but notrequired
- Experience in a customer support rolepreferred
- Track record of identifying opportunities, presenting plans and building support for improvement in processes andtools
- Experience in managing, implementing and successfully executing - on time and within budget - complex technology roll-outs and cross functionalinitiatives
- Comfort learning new technologies and evangelizing the benefits to others who have limited technicalexpertise
- Ability to foster and facilitate teamwork by cultivating relationships, counseling, collaborating, and effectively communicating with teammates and cross-functionalpartners
- Strong communication and analyticalskills
- Sound judgment, discretion, and ability to properly handle confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to navigate and resolve diverse and complex issues in imaginative and effectiveways
- Strong understanding of typical suite of legal technologies (i.e., matter management, electronic billing, discovery management and knowledgemanagement)
- Excellent Excel and PowerPointskills
- Proven ability to plan projects, develop milestones, and meet deadlines while working with multiple stakeholders within the Legaldepartment
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate with colleagues to develop and implement new processes that drive visible results; ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders within and outside of the LegalDepartment
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; strong experience with data analytics; ability to gather and manipulate large amounts of data, then think creatively to generate innovative insights fromanalysis
- Strong intellect and the ability to quickly grasp and apply newinformation
- Self-starter with the ability to make independent decisions and the judgment to know when to seekguidance
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and complete work in a timely and accurate manner; comfort operating in an environment of rapid change and shiftingpriorities
- Ability to rapidly assess potential risks, benefits and consequences ofdecisions
- Develop the department's short and long-term operations plans, supporting the Legal Department's strategies and mission
- Develop and implement other strategic plans in partnership with the Legal Department'sleaders
Finance, Budget & Metrics Management
- Define and drive strategic and operational initiatives with on-time and on-budgetresults
- Work with Legal Department leadership to improve financial budgeting, forecasting, management andreporting
- Utilize appropriate technology and tools to collect and communicate financial information to stakeholders both within and outside the department asneeded
Legal Technology Solutions
- Serve as a liaison with the Systems organization to support the Legal Department's IT portfolio andstrategy
- Stay up-to-date on legal technology solutions and trends, and communicate those technology opportunities to thedepartment
Outside Counsel and Legal Vendor Management
- Develop creative strategies for increasing value and reducing outside legal spend while maintaining high standards for legalsupport
- Lead law firm and third-party vendor management programs, with the aim of reducing spend and improving predictability; enforce outside counsel billing guidelines; create processes to monitor pricing andperformance
- Work with Legal Department leadership to establish and manage strategic and preferred provider panels for each practicegroup/region
- Negotiate creative fee arrangements with outside firms and vendors and assist with RFP's on significantmatters
Communication and Administration
- Use forums and tools to connect Legal Department members at locations around theworld
- Collaborate with the Corporate Communications Department on specific department strategies andprojects
Process/Workflow Mapping and Efficiency Improvements
- Standardize and automate manual processes to improve workflows, knowledge sharing and collaboration
- Create and manage department wide proceduremanuals
- Support various legal department activities, such as litigation support, policy management, communications, intranet content andtraining
Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Business, Finance or Information Technology; MBA or Masters of Science is strongly preferred.
Project Management certificate a plus
This position is not eligible for domestic or international relocation.
The percentage of travel required for this position is between 0-5%.
This position is eligible for the 9/80 work schedule.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in recruiting, hiring, developing, compensating and promoting applicants and / or employees. All employment decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected categories. This includes providing reasonable accommodation for employee's and applicant's disabilities or religious beliefs and practices.
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following 'Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law'
Anadarko is among the world’s largest independent oil and natural gas exploration and production companies, with headquarters in The Woodlands, Texas. Our diverse portfolio of assets encompasses premier positions in major U.S. onshore shale and oil-focused opportunities in deep-water basins worldwide.
Each day, our 4,500 employees worldwide are focused on living our core values of integrity and trust, servant leadership, commercial focus, people and passion and open communication in all we do. We are committed to our mission of delivering a competitive and sustainable rate of return to shareholders by exploring for, acquiring and developing oil and natural gas resources vital to the world's health and welfare.
We want a diverse set of individuals who share our values and place priority on safety and environmental protection to help us achieve our mission. We’re planning for the future and looking for exceptional people to be part of it. If our values and mission excite and interest you, we want to hear from you! Learn more at www.anadarko.com.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/anadarkopetroleumcorporation
Visit our channel on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/AnadarkoTV
Connect with us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/anadarko-petroleum-corporation
Anadarko is ranked in the Global Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.