Skills: Design Engineer
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Our client is looking for a Designer / Senior Designer for short term contract positions of approx. 3-6 months, located in Tullos, Aberdeen.
- It has been identified that a number of Senior Designers are required to support both current and future projects within Products.
- The Senior Designers will have a functional reporting line to the Products Design Lead for maintenance of design standards, provision of design tools, training and competence, etc. but will be fully deployed into Products project teams and will work in tandem with the engineering team on a day to day basis, sharing design tools and being fully engaged in the design and development process.
- The Products Senior designers will not only work in tandem with the Engineering team but may also liaise with other departments, including but not limited to SCM, and Workshop.
- The Senior Designers will provide design skills both manual and software driven to projects, tenders, studies etc. within the department in the production of physical assembles, digital prototypes, drawings, sketches, animations and technical documentation consistent with good engineering practice and principles.
- The Senior Designer will also be responsible for the supply of information along with guidance/mentoring within department and to other business functions.
Under minimal supervision assists with the production of deliverables, this includes but is not limited to.
- Development and implementation of agreed design concepts
- Cross Discipline Basic Engineering Input in Mechanical, Hydraulic, Electrical and Structural Engineering
- Basic understating of the elements used in the creation of a structure.
- Basic Design Calculations (Checking and Creation)
- Mechanical springs, Bearings, Shafts and Axles, Flexible Mechanical Elements, Gears
- Conversant in the production of documentation related to Engineering Design / Drafting
- Basic FEA / Analysis
- Specifications / Procedures
- Review of 3rd party submissions
- Manufacturing processes / principles
- Create detailed digital prototypes, engineering drawings and layouts when given limited specifications, requirements and instruction
- Understands the processes and principles of Engineering Design
- Checks digital prototypes and resultant documentation
- Conversant with the latest developments within Engineering Design Applications
- Makes effort to become aware of all relevant safety / quality objectives and legal requirements in the process of design
- Understands the requirement and can set objectives for professional development.
- Attends and offers feedback when attending project design reviews.
- Recognised Mechanical Engineering qualification
- Willingness to continually develop design skills and to maintain a thorough understanding of state of the art Engineering design tools.
- Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality awareness.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a multi discipline engineering team
- Understanding of the practical aspects of design with regard to manufacture and operation.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Good communication skills.
- Good working knowledge of industry standards, specifications and guidelines.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of 3D engineering software tools relating to Design
- Occasional travel to client, test sites and offices
- Previous industry experience with Intervention / ROV Design processes / practices
- Knowledge and understanding of ROV and intervention tooling system development