Skills: Civil Engineering
Other Skills: LNG
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Located in region: North America
The Principal Civil/Structural/Architectural (CSA) Engineer is primarily responsible for proposing and supervising application of design and engineering standards of the CSA works at our client's project, in line with the company's objectives of safety, reliability, maintainability and minimization of lifetime costs. The civil work consists of site preparation (blasting/grading/crushing), foundation design, structural steel design, building design and interfacing with other disciplines.
The Principal CSA Engineer will coordinate the CSA design activities and Owner input in related activities and monitors the construction and installation of related civil and structural activities including site preparation work, foundations and overall concrete work, steel and platform installation and building construction. Interfaces with the Verification Unit group assigned as a 3rd party reviewer of engineering, construction, testing and commissioning to verify compliance with defined applicable codes and standards.
The Principal position will be capable of managing direct reports.
This position will initially be located at the engineering contractor's office in Houston, Texas and then transferring to the site in Mexico.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the Principal Civil Engineer and project planner, manager and coordinator for civil, structural, and infrastructure engineering activities on the technical portion of the project
- Reviews and provides comments on EPC contractor deliverables including compliance with industry codes and project specific specifications Serve as an individual contributor in the role of a civil and structural expert making technically complex civil engineering decisions
- Develops and plans, evaluates and recommends solutions for civil engineering and structural analysis and design related matters as per the Gas, Petrochemicals and Industrial Specification and Practices
- Responsible for all Civil Engineering and Structural Engineering and Architectural matters
- Manages and coordinates the civil activities of the team of Civil Engineers and provides technical supervision of the day-to-day activities of tasks assigned to personnel
- Coordinates work of subordinates with other disciplines, work with and communicates with organization project management team.
- Supervises and prepares proposals, contract design calculations and drawings, contract information (CI) sheets, Basic Engineering Design Documents (BEDD) sheets, specifications and engineering documentation using standards and methods as required
- Approves and issues drawings, CI/BEDD sheets and other civil and structural engineer documents
- Supervises the preparation or prepare technical specifications for purchased equipment
- Prepares technical evaluation of supplier's proposals and coordinate and interface with equipment suppliers
- Make verbal and written presentations to customers, suppliers and internally within the organization
- Reviews engineering calculations, drawings, CI/BEDD sheets, specifications and other engineering documentation as provided by the EPC Contractor for compliance with contract requirements, good engineering practices, codes and standards
- Interfaces with the subcontractors for all matters related to Site preparation, including Geotechnical investigations
- Provide technical supervision to other civil, structural, piling engineers and technical personnel as required
- Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or related discipline
- 10 years of civil engineering experience in the Infrastructure or Energy Industry or Oil and Gas industry in a leading role in a major construction project is preferred.
- Experience with seismic design preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Must have detailed and in-depth knowledge of structural design and infrastructure development (roads, bridges)
- Knowledge of Geotechnical parameters and specifications including interfaces is an advantage
- Ability to design and solve engineering problems with minimal assistance
- Knowledge of seismic design requirements for foundations
- Demonstrated ability to decompose complex problems into actionable task lists
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership for civil engineering projects with substantial complexity and scope
- Demonstrated ability to draw conclusions and make recommendations based on technical inputs from multiple and varied functions
- Must possess knowledge and understanding of engineering and construction practices and techniques, environmental compliance and project controls and scheduling on large infrastructure projects
- Demonstrated strong creative aptitude
- Proven communication skills and ability to perform within a cross-functional team environment
- Proven experience in linear and non-linear structural analysis, thermal analysis, fluid dynamics, and/or multi-physics simulations
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is preferred
- Ability to drive change initiatives
Competentia is more than a staffing company; we combine our long experience in the industry with a continuing commitment to innovation to provide a different level of customer service.
From the moment you begin planning your projects Competentia offers you real advantages in all areas related to staffing your teams and managing your manpower resources.
We offer strategic staffing solutions ranging from recruitment and onboarding to training, payrolling and mobilizing your human capital.
Above all we offer the expertise, experience and integrity to bring you genuine peace of mind as you manage one of the most challenging aspects of the modern technical market place.