Shell Pipeline business is seeking students currently enrolled in, or recent graduates to fill an intern position. It is important to note that interns will be employed by a contract company and will not be considered as Shell employees during the internship period.
Shell Pipeline Company LP Control Center remotely controls and monitors pipeline systems and terminals, as well as comply with the applicable Department of Transportation regulations contained in Subpart F - Operation and Maintenance of 49 CFR Part §195 - Transportation of Hazardous Liquids by Pipeline.
The Pipeline Controller is responsible for the safe and efficient remote operation of pipelines, tanks, and pumping equipment involved in the transportation of crude oil and other products. The Controller must consistently ensure the safety of pipeline operations and prevent any environmental damage while meeting established schedules and customer needs, minimizing costs and securing product integrity.
The purpose of the Pipeline Controller Internship is for students to learn Shell's Pipeline business through mentoring, conversation, observation, and demonstration. During the program the selected intern will gain the experience outlined below and participate in the following:Operations Experience
Control Center Experience
- Attend a Shell Pipeline orientation class
- Follow and observe a variety of Pipeline Controllers as they complete daily operations
- Review the procedures associated with completing daily operations
- Review Maintenance Execution Process assurance and shadow a Pipeline Controller following the process
- Fill out a work notification in SAP - Proper documentation of work executed via SAP systems
- Review the applicable Operations Procedures and shadow a Pipeline Controller following the procedures
- Engage with the Control Center while shadowing a Pipeline Controller performing operations to ensure no nuisance Priority One alarms
- Review and perform proper documentation for all abnormal events
- Facilitate a team meeting
- Make a safety presentation
- Conduct regular interfaces with Engineering, Craft Support Team and Operations personnel as applicable
- The applicant selected will be expected to progress through a challenging training process
- This Pipeline Controller Trainee position involves a periodic review of the Trainees knowledge and performance by the Console Supervisors and Trainers
- Successful Controller Trainees must demonstrate increased knowledge and proficiency toward complying with the requirements of the Control Center Operations Training and Qualification Program
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbors and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
To be eligible for the internship, you must
have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale and
- Have completed at least the first year of an Associate degree or two years of a BA/BS in a Process Technology, Instrumentation, Electrical, Corrosion, or Pipeline Integrity program
In addition to the requirements listed above, applicants:
- Must ensure safe and efficient operations of pipelines and associated components (i.e. prevent environmental damage by preventing releases, meet established delivery schedules, respond to abnormal and emergency conditions by following prescribed procedures)
- Must be willing and able to learn standard operating procedures to monitor flow and operate pipelines on a 24-hour basis from a centralized remote location to ensure timely and accurate product delivery or receipts for customers and suppliers
- Must be able to prioritize demands and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be rigorously disciplined in regards to following policies, procedures and processes
- Must be able to think and react calmly when working under high-stress situations
- Must have demonstrated critical thinking skills
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis now and in the future without requiring sponsorship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be able to read, speak, and write English fluently and understand operating procedures
- Must possess and maintain a current, valid license to operate a motor vehicle in the United States
- Willingness to take and achieve satisfactory results on Shell's pre-employment testing battery
- Willingness to support the company's drug-free work environment, include random drug screenings. As a part of the pre-employment selection process, candidates are required to submit to and receive satisfactory results from a pre-employment medical screening, background check, and drug tests including hair and oral fluids
- Willingness to work a 12-hour rotating shift schedule (including night, weekends, holidays and overtime)
- Willing to be on call and meet call-out standards to respond to site responsibilities and emergencies
- Willingness to support and comply with Shell's safety policies and safe working practices
- Willingness to work in an environment that requires the daily use of computers
- Willingness to support and comply with Shell's teamwork environment
- Willingness to support and comply with the company's harassment-free work environment policy
- Willing to support and comply with the company's diversity and inclusion work practices
- Willing to respond to emergencies as part of the Emergency Response Team with or without accommodation. To attend to emergencies, successful candidates must reside within 60 minutes of the site, or be willing to relocate to within 60 minutes of the site without relocation assistance
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.