Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Excise Tax Analyst located in San Ramon, CA California/United States through February 25, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Requisition ID# 398732
This experienced, staff-level position is located within Chevron's Excise Tax Group (ETG). ETG specializes in providing multi-state sales, use, and motor vehicle fuel tax research, advice and audit defense for its various business units and legal entities. Additionally, it advances its internal clients' business performance by achieving maximum tax savings for major capital projects as well as frequent inquiries. The prospective applicant will be exposed to all aspects of the oil and gas industry (including upstream, midstream, and downstream operations, plus alternative energy developments).
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
- Timely completion of sales, use and motor vehicle fuel tax audits with Federal, State and local government agencies.
- Developing concrete tax positions and providing audit documentation to auditors.
- Researching tax laws and providing guidance to internal business unit clients on sales and use tax issues impacting business decisions.
- Performing reviews of high risk accounts payable transactions to mitigate potential tax exposure.
- Keeping abreast of tax law changes and consulting with internal tax counsel on complex tax matters.
- Collaborating with internal tax systems analysts and providing tax law guidance for automated tax accrual processes for purchase and sales transactions.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, tax or finance related field.
- 2+ years of Multi-state Sales and Use Tax experience.
- In lieu of Sales and Use Tax experience, 3+ years of Tax experience with a Big 4, large regional Public Accounting firm, Government Tax agencies, or Corporate Tax department will be considered.
- Solid tax research skills with CCH IntelliConnect, RIA Checkpoint or comparable research platforms.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access.
- Strong analytical and technical skills in interpreting and applying accounting rules to complex matters.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience using SAP or comparable general ledger software systems.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate conclusions and recommendations.
- Solid teamwork ethic and excellent interpersonal skills for interacting with peers and management at various levels.
- Ability to perform multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines in a timely manner.
- Must be extremely well organized, detail orientated and a self-starter.
- Masters in Taxation
Relocation will be not be considered.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.