This position is for an experienced labor and employment attorney with seven or more years of experience. The successful candidate will provide professional, timely, cost effective and practical legal advice and counsel to the HR function and Shell companies in relation to the full range of United States labor and employment law matters.
In conjunction with the US Labor, Employment and Benefits Team, the successful candidate will provide advice and counsel regarding labor and employment law to all Shell businesses operating in the US, covering approximately 18,000 employees, as well as employment law advice relating to HR policies that pertain to the global Shell group of companies. Responsibilities include providing advice and counsel in all aspects of labor and employment law, managing compliance with a wide range of federal and state employment laws, including the NLRA, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, ADA, ADEA, FLSA, and FMLA, and coordinating advice and input from other internal advisor.
This position reports to the Associate General Counsel, North America Corporate, Finance & HR/Benefits, located in Houston, Texas. The Legal Corporate team within Shell Legal provides legal advice and services on corporate, finance, HR and benefits matters. The successful candidate will join a US team of two labor and employment and two benefits attorneys.
The successful candidate will also be involved in continuous improvement and standardization and simplification initiatives being undertaken by the wider Legal Corporate team in which the US Employment and Benefits team sits.
While mediation is an important aspect of this role, litigation and arbitration is addressed through our Litigation department.Company Description
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- J.D. from an accredited law school required.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience as a labor and employment attorney.
- Licensed to practice law in Texas, or able to obtain license in a reasonable timeframe.
- Law firm experience, tempered by time spent as in-house counsel, is preferred. Familiarity with business transactions, including M&A, and employment litigation, is desirable.
- Familiarity with federal and state labor and employment laws, including the NLRA, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, ADA, ADEA, FLSA, FMLA and comparable state statutes. Extensive experience with federal and state regulatory agencies including DOL, EEOC, and NLRB.
- Experience providing advice and counsel regarding a wide range of workplace issues, including recruitment, employee relations, accommodations, employee leave, investigations, employment agreements, reductions-in-force and employment policies.
- Strong negotiation and counseling skills. A solid grounding in providing advice on the full range of US employment law issues that are likely to arise in relation to employees of Shell companies working in the US. The candidate should have a sound ability to provide concise, accurate, and up to date legal advice in a commercial environment.
- Experience providing advice and counsel regarding traditional labor law matters, including union elections, collective bargaining and unfair labor practice proceedings.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and negotiation skills and ability to distil complex legal concepts into pragmatic and user-friendly advice
- Ability to collaborate well in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently without the assistance of outside counsel.
- Ability to meet deadlines and demonstrate flexibility.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, including with senior level executives and overseas colleagues.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.