Shell Trading and Supply has an integrated global portfolio of crude oil, LNG, refined products, natural gas, electrical power, chemical feed-stocks and environmental products. Primarily based in the UK, US, Singapore, Canada, The Netherlands, Japan, Barbados, Dubai, and Russia, and with over 7,000 employees, Shell Trading and Supply trades on average over 12 million barrels of crude and oil products and 5 million barrels of oil equivalent in natural gas and power each day. Specifically in relation to LNG transportation, Shell is one of the world's largest LNG shipping operators, managing and operating a significant proportion of the global fleet of LNG tankers. Shell is active in developing new markets for its products and services across the globe and enable growth for its business and meeting the specific energy needs of its various customers.Purpose
Professional, timely, cost effective and commercial legal advice and support to Shell's LNG trading business, known as Shell LNG Marketing and Trading (SLMT), as well as Shell Energy's onshore Natural Gas, Power and Environmental Products business with primary focus on the Americas.
SLMT serves as Shell's single market interface for all LNG sales and purchases, allowing Shell to combine a portfolio of LNG from multiple supply sources, thus creating create additional value and flexibility for customers and for Shell. SLMT has two trading hubs, one is in Singapore and the other one is in Dubai. The SLMT business in other locations operates in support of the global trading activities, e.g. assessing and developing new markets and related infrastructure projects, ranging from regasification terminals and pipeline transportation to power generating facilities.
Shell Energy Americas includes Shell Energy North America (SENA), one of the largest energy suppliers in North America and expanding into Latin America (in particular Brazil and Mexico). SENA provides a comprehensive portfolio of physical commodity products, services and solutions designed to meet the needs of a broad customer base. It acts as the primary marketer of Shell's North American natural gas production in the U.S. and Canada.Accountabilities
The selected candidate will be:
- Providing legal support to SLMT's new business development unit on market development projects in the Americas that have an LNG component or onshore gas or gas to power component;
- Providing legal advice and participating in commercial negotiations in relation to the sale and purchase of LNG (spot, medium and long term) which will include advising on existing and potential LNG sale and purchase arrangements (SPA, NDA, MOU etc.), LNG transportation issues, credit support and guarantee instruments, and potentially contentious operational matters such as Force Majeure and breaches of contract;
- Providing legal support to the activities of the Downstream LNG business;
- Providing legal support on Natural Gas and Power including negotiations in relation to more complex and/or structured sale and purchases of gas and power including advising on existing and potential arrangements (NAESBs, AMAs, PPAs etc.);
- Providing training and day to day advice on Compliance/Code of Conduct issues (antitrust, ABC, G&H);
- Assisting and supporting the Shell Litigation Group in relation to the background and business dimensions of contentious proceedings involving LNG matters;
- Supporting other aspects of Trading and Supply legal work as may be required, depending on business needs or desired development;
- Contributing to legal know-how, improvement of contracting processes and documentation, working with the business on development of new structures and products to meet market developments; and
- Manage legal resources effectively with a view to achieve efficiency and cost effectiveness, including the involvement of SBO colleagues or local external counsel, where appropriate.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of legal experience, preferably from Gas to Power Trading and Marketing.
- Law degree and professional legal qualification required.
- Strong experience of International Common Law and/or Civil Law contracts.
- Experience in infrastructure development projects, familiar with joint venture formation.
- Knowledge of and interest in the legal issues relevant to gas to power trading, generally and to LNG in particular. An interest in and/or experience of short term Trading will be an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of contract law and sale of goods principles.
- Ability to draft with appropriate understanding and interpretation of the commercial intentions and to contribute to achieving business results.
- Fluent written and spoken English. Spanish language skills will be an advantage.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.