The role of a Projects Senior Legal Counsel is to provide legal advice, support and related services to the business in a proactive, timely, cost-effective and professional manner with a view to furthering business objectives and protecting shareholder interests. The focus of this attorney is to provide quality legal support for projects delivery, including support as required to assist non-operated ventures, either via direct support or through the assurance and governance process. This role provides legal support to those in P & T who are accountable for all technical aspects and execution of Shell's major capital projects, including engineering and design, procurement and construction, contract management, settlement of change orders, managing warranty issues and assisting with resolving or pursuing claims. Involvement starts as early as possible (contracting strategy and contract tenders) and ends after the facility is handed over to the asset team for operations.
Due to the ebb and flow nature of major capital project work, there can often be periods of high activity followed by quieter periods. During quieter periods this role will be asked to cover other project related matters. There is an excellent opportunity to impact Shell's success and help support this critical aspect of the Shell strategy around project delivery.
This candidate will also help support claims initiatives and claims prevention and management of the contracts used in major projects. The successful candidate will work with project teams, senior leaders and other team members as appropriate. With regard to the claim space, the successful candidate will help advise project teams on claims and pre-litigation dispute resolution and collaborate with cross discipline teams, including Global Litigation. Litigation experience is a plus and a willingness to become knowledgeable and proficient in this areas a requirement.
Key to success is the ability to help develop strategy, draft and negotiate Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) agreements, and Construction Management agreements, as well as the ability to understand the commercial arrangements of these contracts whether lump sum, reimbursable, as well as hybrid contracts, and advice on related contract issues and management of same.Company Description
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In Brazil, Shell has been present for more than a century (since 1913), and was the first international oil company to produce oil in Brazil, in the Campos Basin, after the market was opened up to private investment. Currently, Shell is one of the largest energy companies in the Brazilian market.
Shell in Brazil is also a major producer of lubricants and, through Raízen (a joint venture with a Brazilian energy and logistics group), invests in the production of sugar cane ethanol, a viable biofuel alternative for smarter and cleaner mobility in the future.
We deliver energy responsibly, aiming to meet society's energy demands today and in the future in economically, environmentally and socially responsible ways. We operate safely with respect to our neighbors and work to minimize our environmental impact.
We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
Given the seniority of this role, it is expected that the successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years Project related experience; other relevant experience will also be considered, but specific project experience is preferred. This person will be viewed as a Projects SME in inter alia effective contracting strategies in the capital projects space, proactive contract management, including claims avoidance and claims assertion and advising on disputes and challenges in the midst of project delivery.
- Knowledge and skills relevant to major capital projects and related construction and fabrication activities, including claims management and ability and willingness to learn and grow in this area;
- Experience in dealing with complex contracts and the ability to apply local as well as English law concepts or strong ability to learn and do so; ability to learn and understand the laws applicable in the Region and be comfortable doing the right level of research to address questions arising outside of Brasil.
- Good commercial mindset and the ability to handle multiple demanding clients in a project environment which demands a quick and thoughtful legal touch across several legal disciplines.
- The ability to work in a less well defined legal environment with business partners who need and demand pragmatic legal advice and awareness and ability to seek more senior support at appropriate points, as well as the willingness to seek help and raise concerns in a timely manner
- Ability to draft well and to negotiate in a firm fashion, while building strong working relationships with contractor counsel regularly used by Shell
- Good understanding of contract and commercial law and a commercial mindset
- Strong understanding of business drivers within Shell.
- The ability to work in the pre-litigation space, handling potential disputes to resolution or positioning the matter for effective litigation
- Ability to help structure diverse and alternative options and think creatively
- Ability to handle complex and sensitive government and partner relations
- Ability to develop and sustain relationships with business partners at all levels, as well as LS counter-parties
- Broad general grasp of legal issues under own and foreign legal systems and demonstrated capability of building up knowledge in particular areas of law, and the ability to operate independently;
- Knowledge and understanding of FPSO agreements, (e.g. leases, OM, EPC) and related project issues as well as contract management of same
- Knowledge and understanding of NOV project execution governance, or willingness to learn and effectively manage and influence this area
- Knowledge to identify critical legal risks
- A track record as a team player
- Strong knowledge of the Shell structure and the Shell Control Framework
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.