The Legal Counsel - Trade Controls will provide effective, practical, and timely Trade Compliance legal advice and training as a member of the specialist Trade Compliance team on a wide range of international trade related issues.
- Working with the other Trade Compliance lawyers in Houston and London, you will be responsible for providing specialist trade compliance legal advice and support to Shell companies on a wide range of issues including export control, economic sanctions, and anti-boycott.
- Working with the broader Trade Compliance team to support, evaluate and maintain the elements of the Shell Trade Compliance program.
- Providing trade compliance training and awareness briefings to senior leaders and relevant staff.
- Investigate, prepare, and submit voluntary regulatory disclosures.
- Proactively track legislative, regulatory, and administrative developments and educate relevant stakeholders regarding potential impact.
- You will also engage externally with other companies, outside counsel, and regulators.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.Requirements
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Juris Doctor (JD) required.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of legal practice, with at least trade compliance experience in private practice or in-house.
- Knowledge and experience of International Trade Controls laws required.
- Excellent communication and legal drafting skills.
- Strong negotiation and counselling skills.
- Ability to work independently without outside counsel.
- Capable of applying complex regulatory requirements to current business situations while providing practical and fully compliant solutions.
- Work collaboratively within a virtual team and provide cross-support and guidance as needed; help motivate and encourage positive team dynamics.
- Ability to work closely and coordinate with other Shell lawyers, compliance colleagues and functions.
- Energy, enthusiasm, and a willingness to learn.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell participates in E-Verify.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.