Skills: Project Management
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume
does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
The Project Manager is responsible to support the delivery of a number of projects within the KPO portfolio, on time, within budget and with performance in line with predictions, by performing JV Asset Management activities on behalf of the Shell Kazakhstan Asset Manager.
Examples of work activities in which he/she may be involved are as below:
- Review and support the performance of major projects.
- Support project reporting and calls, updating reports when necessary with relevant KPO project data.
- Develop and maintain project content of Shell Opportunity Assurance Plans for major projects and support resourcing of teams when necessary.
- Develop and maintain project specific cost improvement staircases, leveraging Shell best practices.
- Support project business paper submissions through internal approval process.
- Involved in appropriate challenge of Project Execution Plans ensuring that resources, organisation, project schedule and contract strategies are appropriate as part of project business paper submissions.
- Assess Business Plan submissions for credibility and competitiveness.
- Co-ordinate and provide functional support to assist Project Delivery Manager with endorsement of the Business plan.
- Participate in Governance meetings and maintenance of risk register.
- Share Shell knowledge with relevant PM's and provide support to improve Project delivery performance.
- Participate in project assurance reviews as and when required.
- Manage and communicate the project performance within the project management and business lines of management.
In 2018, Shell celebrated its 25th Anniversary since starting business in the independent Kazakhstan. Shell's business in the Caspian region began over 100 years ago, when Shell was the first to ship kerosene from Baku to South-East Asia. In the early 1990s, the company became one of the first foreign investors to establish presence in Kazakhstan, when the company was involved in the appraisal study of the country's hydrocarbon reserves and has since played a leading role in the development of the country's oil and gas sector.
Shell is one of the largest foreign investors in Kazakhstan with offices in Astana, Atyrau, Aktau and Aksai. Shell has interests in four projects in Kazakhstan:
•The North Caspian Sea Production Sharing Agreement (Shell's share - 16.81%)
•Karachaganak Final Production Sharing Agreement (Shell's share - 29.25%)
•Pearls Production Sharing Agreement (Shell's share - 55%), and
•Caspian Pipeline Consortium (Shell's share - 7.4%).
Upon integration with BG Group in 2016, Shell's footprint significantly increased in Kazakhstan. With firm plans to continue with the current commitments in the above projects while protecting value already in-country, and seeking to enhance its strategic partnership with the Republic, Shell's focus on strong and effective collaboration with the government authorities, partners, business community and general communities will remain topical.
A minimum of 10 yrs of Oil and Gas engineering and projects experience with an affinity for project management. Hands-on experience of project delivery in a complex and challenging environment would be preferred. Demonstration of an understanding of and comfort in dealing with a diversity of cultures, work practices and customs and the ability to be flexible and accommodating without compromising the key objectives and milestones on which the project success depends. Demonstration of ability to work both at conceptual and more detailed levels.
The incumbent will need:
- Experience of working in a Joint Venture is preferred.
- Experience of Governance and Assurance processes is preferred.
- An understanding of project execution risks, local contracting capability, regulations and construction
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with customers and other team members.
- Genuine commitment to HSE and Q.
- Awareness and experience in developing project execution plans, including resource planning.
- An awareness of basic construction engineering.
- Involvement with contract management (e.g. detailed design, construction, installation and/or
- To be familiar with project management techniques, tools and best practices.
- To have well developed IT skills and experience with all modern communication tools
(e-mail, internet, Skype, video conferencing etc.)
- To have strong problem-solving skills and to have a view on commercial impacts and
repercussions of alternatives on softer or non-technical aspects of the job.
- To have well developed relationship skills as you will have to work in a multi-cultural, diverse
- Fluent written and spoken English required. Ability in other relevant languages beneficial.
The vacancy is published externally in order to attract top local talent from Kazakhstani labour market and strengthen Shell Kazakhstan local technical talent pipeline.