Skills: Engineering Technician
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Westhill, Scotland, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Our client is looking for a Principal Engineer - Pipeline & Installation for a permanent position, located in Westhill.
Principal Engineer is a key role in the team and will make use of your experience and enthusiasm as follows:
- Leading and driving technical scopes including interface with other disciplines and draughting activities
- Providing a technical advisory, review and checking role (including team-internal and company-wide consultancy)
- Ensuring the quality of work issued is high and conforms to department procedures
- Consolidating Group experience in discipline and promoting the group's engineering excellence through publications
- Provision of training to delegates from the wider Group
- Generation of ideas for research and development and consolidation activities
- Contribution to the forward-planning of the team, including workscope planning, competency development, remit expansion
- As for all teams of the Rigid Pipeline & Installation Technologies department (RP&IT), the P&I team is working on 3 streams: Group Research & Development, Group Consolidation and support to Group Projects.
- Technically, the team specialises in the study of pipelay equipment and their interaction with rigid pipelines during laying. In addition, P&I perimeter has recently increased and now covers installation analysis and contribution to the flexible pipelay consolidation and R&D.
- To support this expansion, a Principal engineer with strong relevant technical background and good project management skills is required to lead some of the largest R&D and consolidation projects in the team. These projects must be delivered efficiently and in a timely manner to Business Units, our internal client.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for the delivery of key R&D or Consolidation projects in relation with Pipelay or Installation Analysis, within agreed schedule and budget. It is essential to ensure all along the project life that the business case is still favorable and that the project outcome will deliver added value to our internal customers. Typical R&D or Consolidation project budget varies from £100k to £2M (multi-years). It requires supervision of 1 to 4 engineers or senior engineers from the team (or the department) and can require the management of internal or external suppliers.
- The projects include, but are not limited to: pipelay vessel specification, pipelay equipment improvement, pipe to equipment interaction improvement (friction), engineering tools to perform rigid pipeline integrity checks, pipelay installation aids design and qualification, Group level consolidation of best practices. These projects are achieved using both desktop studies (hand calculations, FEA, ...) and testing.
- Contribution to internal and external conferences through presentation of knowledge and current work.
- Participation to review committees or JIPs for codes and standard drafting.
- General support to all reel-lay, J-lay and S-lay pipelay operations worldwide, at all stages of the project: FEED, tender, operations preparation and offshore.
- Regular tests preparation and witnessing, in Europe (in Scotland in most of the times). Occasional visit to the pipelay vessels are possible too.
- Relevant engineering degree in structural, mechanical engineering or naval architecture
- Must have:
- Strong experience in the industry
- Experience in project management
- Good understanding of pipelay operations (Rigid, Flexible or Umbilical)
- Good knowledge of relevant codes and standards
- Good knowledge of typical FEA software such as Abaqus or Ansys Workbench
- Enthusiasm for seeking improvements and challenging existing methods
- Hands on experience in pipelay equipment (Rigid, Flexible or Umbilical)
- Hands on experience in Pipelay Installation Analysis (Orcaflex)
- Relevant offshore experience
- Knowledge of equipment control systems and hydraulic systems
- Experience in coaching, guiding and providing training to less experienced engineers