Skills: Research & Development, Physicist
Experience: 5 + Years
Location: Rosharon, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
The role of the Research Scientist is to work in a team of scientists, engineers and domain experts to develop and implement the technology building blocks for the next generation ballistics/ energetics systems. A strong background in computational/ analytical methods is highly desirable. The successful candidate will have a strong background in analytical modelling and experimental shock physics. Under general direction the applicant will provide technical and business leadership engineering skills to innovate new products with cost-effective solutions, simplicity, safety and high reliability. As part of a multi disciplinary group the Research Scientist will be responsible for the modelling and development of explosive systems, which will include detonators, transfer charges and shaped charges. Assist in planning, conducting and evaluating approaches to meeting the project objectives in a timely fashion.
Successful Position holders are excellent communicators, enjoy solving problems, and work well in teams.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop proficiency in modeling shock interaction using in-house hydrodynamic codes.
- Design and development of shaped charge concepts.
- Design, perform and analyze shock/structure interaction experiments.
- Develop testing procedures and coordinate with others to perform tests. Conduct tests, document test results and develop presentations.
- Assist in prototype fabrication and/or conduct qualification testing of energetic products including detonators, igniters, detonating cord, shaped charges, etc.
- Identify and keep abreast of novel technical concepts and markets. Learn new skills and adopt new practices readily in order to develop innovative and low-cost products that maintain Schlumberger's technical leadership position. Author/co-author technical reports, papers, articles, patents and presentations.
- Comply with applicable company policies, including Personnel, Quality System and Health, Safety and Environmental standards and procedures and successfully complete required safety training.
- Interface with other engineers and scientist.
Qualifications and Experience:
- An MS or PhD in any engineering discipline, Physics or Applied Mathematics with 5 years of industry or academic experience is required, although an advanced degree in other related disciplines with thesis work related to experimental/theoretical shock physics will also be considered.
- A strong background in computational/analytical methods is highly desirable.
- Experience working with pyrotechnics, explosives and high loading rates phenomena.
- Experience implementing and using experimental optical techniques to capture high loading rates events, such as, PDV, VISAR, Moire, etc.
- Experience programming, Python, Matlab, C++.
- Candidates must be able to legally work and reside in the US, without sponsorship.
Schlumberger is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
Schlumberger is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor- priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
A tradition of excellence and innovation
We’re the world’s leading provider of integrated pore-to-pipeline technology solutions to the oil and gas industry. We’re also a leading employer in our sector—with a reputation for hiring the best and the brightest people and keeping them at the top of their game through rewarding career-long development opportunities.
Each day, in 85 countries, we help our customers find and produce oil and gas in ways that demonstrate respect for both people and the environment. Today’s industry challenges call for new ideas, techniques, and solutions. If you want to drive your career and want to grow with a company that’s embraced new ways of thinking since 1927, we may have the career for you.
Schlumberger is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.