Company: Targa Resources Inc
Skills: IT - Analysis & Management
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume
does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Targa Resources is a growth-oriented provider of midstream services and is one of the largest independent midstream energy companies in North America, with assets in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, North Dakota, Louisiana, and California. Targa owns, operates, acquires, and develops a diversified portfolio of complementary midstream energy assets. We encourage your interest in joining our team and pursuing the many opportunities we have at Targa.
Targa is currently seeking a Senior Data Analyst for our office located in Houston, Texas.
The Data Analyst will take responsibility for managing our master data set, developing reports, and troubleshooting data issues. To do well in this role you need a very fine eye for detail, experience as a data analyst, and deep understanding of the popular data analysis tools and databases. The Data Analyst should be highly skilled in all aspects of data analytics, including mining, generation, and visualization. Additionally, you should be committed to transforming data into readable, goal-driven reports for continued innovation and growth.
Tasks / Responsibilities
• Develop, implement, and maintain leading-edge analytic systems, taking complicated problems and building simple frameworks
• Identify trends and opportunities for growth through analysis of complex data sets
• Use statistical methods to analyze data and generate useful business reports
• Work with departmental managers to outline the specific data needs
• Evaluate organizational methods and provide source-to-target mappings and information-model specification documents for data sets
• Create best-practice reports based on data mining, analysis, and visualization
• Evaluate internal systems for efficiency, problems, and inaccuracies, developing and maintaining protocols for handling, processing, and cleaning data
• Work directly with management and users to gather requirements, provide status updates, and build relationships
Technical Knowledge and Skills
• Work closely with business owners to understand and maintain focus on their analytical needs, including identifying critical metrics and KPIs, and deliver actionable insights to relevant decision-makers
• Proactively analyze data to answer key questions from stakeholders or out of self-initiated curiosity with an eye for what drives business performance, investigating and communicating areas for improvement in efficiency and productivity
• Create and maintain rich interactive visualizations through data interpretation and analysis integrating various reporting components from multiple data sources
• Define and implement data acquisition and integration logic, selecting appropriate combination of methods and tools within defined technology stack to ensure optimal scalability and performance of the solution
• Develop and maintain databases by acquiring data from primary and secondary sources, and build scripts that will make our data evaluation process more flexible or scalable across data sets
• Managing and designing the reporting environment, including data sources, security, and metadata
• Supporting data warehouse(s) in identifying and revising reporting requirements
• Supporting initiatives for data integrity and normalization
• Evaluating changes and updates to source production systems
• Providing technical expertise on data storage structures, data mining, and data cleansing
• Experience with advanced analytics tools for Object-oriented/object function scripting using languages such as [R, Python, Java, C++, Scala, others]
• Experience with popular database programming languages including SQL, PL/SQL, others for relational databases and knowledge and/or certifications on upcoming NoSQL/Hadoop oriented databases like MongoDB, Cassandra, others for nonrelational databases
• Knowledge and/or experience in working with SQL on Hadoop tools and technologies including HIVE, Impala, Presto, others from an open source perspective and Hortonworks Data Flow (HDF), Dremio, Informatica, Talend, others from a commercial vendor perspective
• Strong experience working with popular data discovery, analytics and BI software tools like Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI and others for semantic-layer-based data discovery
• Knowledge and/or familiarity of the midstream services industry and data generated in support of business activities related to the gathering, compressing, treating, processing, and selling natural gas, NGLs and NGL products, and crude oil
• A bachelor's degree in computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, data management, information systems, information science or a related quantitative field
• 3+ years of experience in data mining as a data analyst
• Proven analytic skills, including mining, evaluation, analysis, and visualization
• Technical writing experience in relevant areas, including queries, reports, and presentations
In addition to the basic qualifications listed above, the following other position qualifications are required:
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with an aptitude for problem solving
• Must be able to independently resolve issues and efficiently self-direct work activities based on the ability to capture, organize, and analyze information
• Experience delivering solutions that align with business strategies
• Experience troubleshooting complicated issues across multiple systems and driving to solutions
• Experience supporting resources performing user acceptance, regression and other required system tests, ensuring that system and/or related integration issues that arise are identified, researched and closed in a timely manner
• Experience providing technical solutions to non-technical individuals
• Demonstrated team building skills
• Ability to deal with internal employees and external business contacts while conveying a positive, service-oriented attitude
• ITIL v3 Foundations certified
• Willingness to travel to company locations (up to 5%)
Targa offers a very competitive compensation and benefits package.
Targa Resources is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply please go to http://www.targaresources.com/careers/careers-overview
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.