Targa has an immediate opportunity for a Senior Environmental Specialist located in the Houston, Texas area to support our Logistics and Marketing segment, specifically the Petroleum Logistics business at our Channelview Facility. Channelview is comprised of marine terminal operations and a condensate splitter, or refinery process unit. This position will assist operations in achieving Targa's goals with respect to environmental compliance in our operations. A proven ability to solve problems, learn new material, adapt to change and be an effective communicator are key traits to success in this position.
This position is located at the Channelview Facility. The employee will report to the Regional ES&H Manager and will collaborate with the local ES&H and Operations staff to achieve regulatory compliance and operational goals. All the field ES&H positions in Targa received support and guidance from the Corporate ES&H staff.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Attend safety meetings and work safely
- Advise management, operations, and project/maintenance teams as required to assure compliance with federal, state, local and corporate rules and regulations pertaining to the operations environmental aspects and impacts.
- Organize, plan, implement, and audit the environmental programs and policies for the operation, ensuring compliance as required by regulatory agencies and corporate policy.
- Ensure compliance with Title V operating permits and New Source Review (NSR) permits, including the preparation of semiannual deviation reports and annual compliance certifications.
- Ensure compliance with site water and wastewater permits, including the oversight of sample collection, the labs used for analysis, the preparation and submission of DMR data, management of required written plans, and the reporting of noncompliance.
- Manage waste and remediation activities, ensuring regulatory compliance, including the oversite of waste management plans, shipments, manifests, and regulatory reporting.
- Review MOC's for environmental impacts, including NSR compliance, and documenting necessary information to the file or initiating the permitting process when required.
- Facilitate projects and associated consultants as needed on any required authorizations of new or modified sources, permit renewals, and permit modifications.
- Ensure compliance with SPCC requirements and assist with spill response and remediation activities, as needed, including the facilitation of required reporting to applicable parties, including the NRC, TCEQ, and/or RRC.
- Ensure compliance, gather data, and facilitate reporting as required under numerous applicable regulations, including but not limited to CERCLA, EPCRA, SARA, and State Superfund programs.
- Act as the point of contact and subject matter export for both regulatory agencies and operations on required reports, payments, inspections, and other applicable regulatory requirements.
- Maintain a working knowledge of existing and proposed regulations that affect the plant site.
- Provide regular updates on ES&H results and status to operations management; including ES&H key performance indicators, growth projects, and regulatory reporting and enforcement activities.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required
QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience and Skills) Education & License:
- B.S. in Environmental Science, Engineering or related science where the candidate has completed at least one college level calculus class as well as taken college level chemistry
- Maintain a valid driver's license to include a safe driving record satisfactory to the company
- 7+ years of related experience in a manufacturing or consulting environment
- Chemical processes, manufacturing, or consulting environment.
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels within the company as well as organizations outside the company (regulatory agencies, contractors, consultants).
- Effective project management skills.
- Intermediate level desktop computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than your current employer.
- Physical ability to work out in the plant site and accompany regulators on plant tours.
- Fluent English verbal and written skills.
- Must have a mechanical aptitude
- Interpersonal communication skills are required in order to interface with all affected teams, personnel, and vendors
- An organized and detail-oriented self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Ability to work self-sufficiently given direction and resources
- Well-grounded, preferring to work in a collegial and team environment
- Ability to think critically, solve problems independently and exercise excellent judgment and common sense
- Experience working and complying with regulations in a non-attainment area including HRVOC, NNSR reviews for applicability, Chapter 115 and 117.
- Oil and Gas related experience.
FREEDOM TO ACT:
Operates independently within approved guidelines, and with minimum supervision; delivers pertinent information in a timely manner.
- We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing
- This role is subject to drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations or as required by Targa
- Physical ability to work in the plant site and accompany regulators on plant tours.
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Follow and adhere to all applicable Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) guidelines (ex: eye protection, footwear, Nomex).
- Ability to travel overnight periodically, as needed.
ADA JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Reasonable accommodations will be made to ensure that the essential functions of the job can be performed and not hinder the employee's performance due to physical, mental or emotional disability.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
An equal opportunity workplace; all employment decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected categories. This includes providing reasonable accommodation if requested for disabilities or religious beliefs and practices.