Skills: Research & Development
Experience: 10 + Years
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Multiphysics Researcher located in Houston, TX through May 1, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
We are seeking a senior multi-physics inversion researcher with experience in working with seismic, electromagnetic, potential, and other data (e.g. borehole, tiltmeter, temperature, INSAR, etc.) for exploration as well as field development and production monitoring in new and unique ways. Expertise in employing measurements made on the earth's surface, in marine environments, from airborne and satellite platforms, as well as in boreholes is required. Applicants need to have extensive knowledge of standard deterministic workflows and inversion methodologies for interpreting multi-physics data including seismic data, and a working knowledge of stochastic inversion techniques and machine learning / predictive analytical methods for interpreting geophysical data. The successful candidate will manage R&D projects that include subcontracts to research institutions as well as data acquisition and interpretation service providers, and thus project management skills are a must. The candidate will also need to work with Chevron's business units to ensure the research being conducted will benefit exploration and production activities within the company's assets
- Ph.D. in geophysics or closely related field, and a minimum of 10+ years experience as an Earth Scientist.
- Strong theoretical and practical background and skills, including specific expertise in multi-physics data analysis, imaging, modeling, and inversion theory.
- Experience applying multi-physics modeling and inversion for reservoir and exploration objectives, and for survey design and surveillance.
- Knowledge of vendor, academic, and industry capability.
- In depth understanding of geophysical methods including seismic, electromagnetic, and potential field.
- Demonstrated proficiency implementing modeling and inversion software. Computer proficiency including Fortran, Matlab, parallel programming and job submission.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, communicating R&D results to multi-level audiences, users, customers, and management.
- Ability to work with others in cross-disciplinary teams, and demonstrated track record of technical leadership.
- Familiarity with Julia and Python scripting languages.
- Familiarity with Tensor Flow Machine learning platform.
- Familiarity with general borehole log petrophysical analysis.
- Familiarity with EM processing and interpretation software packages including MARE2DEM/MARE3DEM, MOD3DEM, Geosoft, LBNL 3D EM Software, CGG Geotools Multiphysics software and Petrel interpretation software.
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will be considered.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.