Skills: IT - Software Development, Software Specialist
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Earth Science Application Developer located in Houston, TX through January 31, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
This position is in the ETC Earth Science Strategic Research Unit on a team that is part of a multi-disciplined community of developers. It is for an experienced researcher/developer with extensive knowledge of Petrel/Ocean plug-in development. The successful candidate must be able to work on high-impact software projects as a principle researcher/developer and participate on other projects as a technical consultant that can guide internal or external resources. The candidate will have the opportunity to improve software development in the Earth Sciences department by championing programming standards and best-practices with a strong emphasis on important DEVOPS methodologies and tools. Candidate should have a solid background in software engineering and have strong domain knowledge in one or more areas of Geology, Geophysics, and Reservoir Modeling. Candidate must have experience with using Software Development Kits to enhance major platforms like Petrel with proprietary and differentiating capability.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Interacting with Earth Scientists to develop and deploy high-quality software components that can provide effective technical solutions to business problems in exploration and production.
- Collaborating with project teams that may include researchers, developers, technical support staff and testers.
- Coordinating and providing active QA/QC (quality assurance/quality control) to development projects staffed by contractors or external software companies.
- Acting as point-of-contact with major software vendors to report requirements and steer changes to software development kits that will enable proprietary development
- Rapid-prototyping of research ideas and proof-of-concept development.
- MS Degree or greater in Earth Science with strong Computer Science expertise
- Minimum 5 years Petrel Plug-in Development
- Expertise with complex math/physics algorithm development and advanced software engineering concepts such as design patterns, multi-threading, inter-process communication, cloud-native programming, and agile development methodologies including DEVOPS.
- Strong technical software engineering and earth sciences skills and the ability to train, mentor, and teach advanced concepts in software engineering including standards and best-practices.
- BS or equivalent experience in Computer Science
- Familiarity with and routine observance of software engineering methods including object-oriented design and analysis; source-code revision control; software quality assurance including unit, component, and regression testing; design reviews, code walkthroughs, coding standards; bug-tracking and problem resolution.
- Strong background and experience in technical software design and development for both MS Windows and Linux operating systems.
- Experienced with programming in C++ and C#. Experience with scripting languages like Python is a plus.
- Familiarity with many advanced concepts in Geology, Geophysics and Reservoir modeling including pre-stack seismic interpretation, stratigraphic interpretation with flattening techniques, seismic attributes, framework validation, volumetric uncertainty, pattern recognition, well-path planning, geo-body detection, properties modeling, etc.
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.