Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Marathon Oil Company seeks a Houston-based Land Professional to work as part of its Oklahoma Resource Basin (ORB) Land Team. The successful candidate will have a minimum of five (5) years Land experience demonstrating exceptional knowledge in the following areas: oil and gas exploration and development operations, lease and contract negotiations, title opinion analysis and curative, and managing mineral and working interest owner relationships. Oklahoma land experience and familiarity with the Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC) is highly preferred, however all relevant experience will be considered.
- Manage all general Land responsibilities associated with an area of responsibility within STACK and/or SCOOP.
- Serve as a commercial lead for Land swap, acquisition, disposition, and development deals within an area of responsibility.
- Negotiate, prepare, and review a variety of Land contracts including oil and gas leases, assignments, joint operating agreements, farm-in/farm-out agreements, miscellaneous letter agreements, AMI's, etc, and administer their compliance.
- Manage and perform Land related duties associated with a dynamic company-operated drilling and frac schedule and ensure complete Land readiness in all aspects including contingencies.
- Prepare and maintain unit and pooling agreements in cooperation with internal team members and external operators and working interest owners.
- Coordinate with Geology, Engineering, Regulatory, and Law personnel to represent Marathon's interests before the OCC.
- Review title opinions and secure necessary curative documents. Assist the Division Order group with initial ownership set up and participate in monthly status of wells reviews.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Tribal laws and regulations pertaining to Land related issues.
- Manage OBO proposals and participate in internal reviews for the same. Conduct external negotiations representing the recommendations of the team.
- Research Marathon's acreage position and contracts through the Tobin Land System to assist in well preparation and reviewing outside proposals. Review lease terms and provide recommendations for lease cancellations, renewals, and rental obligations.
- Utilize Pangaea, OCC site, Oseberg, ARC GIS, and other Land related programs to perform routine Land tasks for an area of responsibility.
- Actively participate in relevant meetings and make presentations to Marathon management as well as potential working interest owners. Assist and participate with Engineers, Geologists and the Drilling team in the planning and preparation of the team's drilling program.
- Maintain intimate knowledge of Marathon's acreage inventory and land positions in assigned area(s), and monitor competitor activities and land positions. Provide information for new development opportunities and offer strategic Land input, as appropriate.
- Proactively seek business opportunities in areas of interest to Marathon. Build rapport with lessors, government officials, and industry counterparts to enhance our commitment to be the operator of choice.
- Support Marathon's Corporate Development initiatives, as directed.
- Degree: Bachelors Required
- Major Discipline: Petroleum Land Management and Energy Management/Commerce preferred; other majors including general Business majors will be considered
- Years Experience Required: Minimum of five (5) years experience in Exploration and/or Production Land activities preferred. In-house Land or Business Development experience required.
Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) is an independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company based in Houston, Texas. With a material position in four of the best oil-rich U.S. resource plays in different stages of development, we offer a variety of career opportunities, whether you're a recent college graduate or an experienced professional. You'll have the tools to develop and refine the skills and knowledge you need to succeed.
Marathon Oil Company will take the necessary action to ensure that applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or other protected status under applicable employment law.
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.
Posting Notes: || Houston || TX || United States (US) || Not Applicable; SF:DI; SF:GH; SF:LI; SF:MN; SF:RZ || Land, Marketing and Commercial || Not Applicable || || 29794 ||
Marathon Oil – Where You Can Make A Difference
Marathon Oil became an independent E&P company on July 1, 2011. Based in Houston, we're focused on the most significant oil-rich resource plays in the U.S. -- the Eagle Ford in Texas, Permian in New Mexico, STACK and SCOOP in Oklahoma, and the Bakken in North Dakota. We also have international operations in Europe and Africa. While we feel like a start-up in many ways, our roots go back 130 years to our company's formation in 1887. Our stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol MRO.
We’re on a transformative path, with a variety of exceptional opportunities for people who are up to the challenge. If that’s you – if you’re seeking a challenge and ready to make a difference – you could be the right fit to help drive our future. Our U.S. exploration and development assets offer energy professionals exposure to projects from early-stage evaluation through production. Our producing international assets provide a broader perspective on the world’s energy challenges.
We have more than just opportunity to offer. We’re invested in equipping our people for an entire career – from advancing technical skills through to developing the leadership behaviors and skills that will take our business forward. Our competitive compensation and benefits package goes beyond the basics to include a wellness program, self-funded (with company match) and company-funded retirement plans, flexible hours in some positions and tuition reimbursement. Grow your career with us.
Marathon Oil is ranked in the Global Top 30 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.