Skills: PR / Corporate Communications
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Chevron is one of the world's leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of Sustainability Communications Advisor located in San Ramon, CA through January 17, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
The Sustainability Communications Advisor contributes to the development and execution of Chevron's sustainability and corporate responsibility (CR) communications strategy and campaigns. This director-level position is focused 70% on external communications (media relations, social media) and 30% internal/employee engagement communications (storytelling, internal social media) related to sustainability/CR. By bringing your external relations savvy to this position, you'll have the opportunity to showcase sustainability/CR/ESG commitments and achievements, as well as have a role in evolving CR communications as we look forward into the future. This role reports to the CR Communications Manager and is part of a larger Employee Engagement and Corporate Responsibility team.
You'll have the opportunity to inject innovative thinking into your plans and campaigns, look for new uses of existing communications channels, technology and identify new forms of communication to key audiences. You'll engage in face-to-face meetings with internal executives and external partners, influencers and will execute supporting communication strategies and materials (digital and print).
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Leading the CR team's external communications public relations agency.
- Planning and directing owned media strategies and platforms, as well as organic and paid social media campaigns.
- Working with the CR Communications Manager and team to develop communications strategies, messages, plans and products on Chevron's sustainability activities.
- Writing and editing communications materials such as talking points/remarks for senior executives; corporate publications and collateral; and digital and social media content, including videos and infographics.
- Working closely with internal partners and clients and external agencies (PR, creative) to ensure a cohesive approach to enterprise-wide and regional sustainability/CR communications by weaving in corporate and CR narratives and messaging and corporate brand guidelines.
- Investigating and testing new communications media, selectively implementing tools and technology that effectively reach key audiences in the CR and broader stakeholder community.
- Working with the CR Communications manager to design communications effectiveness and measurement programs.
- Bachelor's degree
- 10 years of experience in PR, media or communications
- Proven external media relations expertise
- Demonstrated ability to develop communications plans, lead multi-faceted/complex communications initiatives simultaneously and oversee tactical implementation.
- Digital and social media fluency: demonstrated ability to develop and execute digital and social media programs and assets and measure campaign effectiveness through M&E reports/analysis.
- Strong/proven communication skills (verbal and written) and experience developing a wide variety of communications content (e.g. key messages, fact sheets, executive remarks/talking points, PowerPoint presentations, videos, brochures/collateral and knowledge of/experience in multiple mediums/channels (e.g. - print, face-to-face, web communications, social media.)
- Proven ability to provide strategic counsel and advice to executives, program leaders and external program partners, including NGOs.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, attention to detail and the ability to produce high quality output with minimal errors in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to undertake basic research and analysis.
- Ability to collaborate and work on cross-functional teams; strong influencing skills and customer focus.
Relocation may be considered within Chevron parameters.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
Regulatory Disclosure for US Positions:
Chevron is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or regulation.
Chevron participates in E-Verify in certain locations as required by law.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Chevron is one of the world’s leading integrated energy companies. Our success is driven by our people and their commitment to get results the right way – by operating responsibly, executing with excellence, applying innovative technologies and capturing new opportunities for profitable growth. Some of our specialties include generating power and produce geothermal energy; investing in profitable renewable energy and energy efficiency solutions; and developing the energy resources of the future, including researching advanced biofuels.
Our diverse and highly skilled workforce consists of approximately 64,700 employees, including more than 3,200 service station employees. At Chevron, we’re focused on safely delivering the energy needed to power human and economic progress worldwide. But how do we do that when harnessing fossil fuels can be inherently risky? To meet these challenges, Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence, and it drives everything we do.
Diversity & Inclusion
We’re committed to reflecting in our workforce the rich diversity of cultures and racial and ethnic backgrounds in the communities where we live and work. We’re also devoted to encouraging a diversity of ideas.
Diversity is one of the cornerstones of our values, which we call The Chevron Way. The Chevron Way states:
“We learn from and respect the cultures in which we work. We value and demonstrate respect for the uniqueness of individuals and the varied perspectives and talents they provide. We have an inclusive work environment and actively embrace a diversity of people, ideas, talents and experiences.”
As a core value, diversity is critical to developing a talented, high-performing workforce needed for ongoing business success. The Chevron Way’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains more diverse talent.
We Support Career & Personal Development
We value the importance of managing work/life priorities by offering flexible work schedules, on-site child care at some facilities, adoption assistance, dual-career couple support, scholarships and tuition reimbursement.
At Chevron, you’ll find a workplace committed to your professional development. You’ll receive support and tools to create your own career path, including education assistance support which pays up to 75% of the cost (including tuition, textbooks, lab fees, and registration and administration fees) for approved courses. To strengthen organizational capability, we develop our employees’ and contractors’ skills and experience through our Invest in People strategy. As part of this strategy, discussions focused on continually improving individual performance are held between managers and employees.
Chevron is ranked in the Global Top 10 in Rigzone's Ideal Employer Rankings - find out more here.