Skills: Laboratory Ops / Tech
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: LaPlace, Louisiana, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
LABORATORY MANAGER I
Saybolt - La Place, LA
Manages all laboratory operations, personnel and safety programs in the designated location.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Administer all aspect of laboratory operations to ensure maximum efficiency, and customer satisfaction.
- Ensure the company Quality Program is implemented and fully functioning. Exercise, and require lab employees to exercise, procedural, quality requirements specified in Laboratory Manual #5, and other company policies. Maintain all required quality control documents and have documents available for audit at all times.
- Supervise and monitor the calibration of laboratory instruments and verify that all chemists and technicians under the Manager's supervision are trained and qualified to calibrate designated instruments and maintain proper calibration records.
- Ensure the company Safety Program is implemented and fully functioning. Monitor personal and staff safety training. Determine that laboratory employees pass appropriate, Right-to-Know training, hazardous materials disposal, and other safety, performance and compliance training required by the materials tested and handled, and applicable regulations.
- Coordinate the scope of the laboratory operations and ensure that samples to be tested are properly prioritized for testing; review test results and compare them with specifications or typical test results (if any). Supervise laboratory employees and ensure their compliance with acceptable work habits, safety requirements, company policies, compliance to standards and policies, accuracy of test results, attitude, attendance, time keeping, and all other aspects of their job performance. Perform "employee performance appraisal" for the laboratory staff as required.
- Read and understand all analysis, quality and safety standards in English, including ASTM, UOP, IP and other well-defined analytical standards and procedures used in the laboratory.
- Assist in or perform basic analytical tests from well-defined standards and procedures as required by operational considerations.
- Coordinate and supervise set up, and operation of all laboratory equipment, and train laboratory staff in the correct testing, in accordance with applicable standards, company policies and sound laboratory practice. Purchase (with proper approval) and maintain laboratory equipment necessary to service customer requirements at the location.
- Monitor the operation and profitability of the laboratory.
- Laboratory Managers shall promptly report to their supervisor when any lab employee does not meet company performance or behavior standards.
- Laboratory Manager training must be documented in the Laboratory Chemist/Technician Training Record book, verifying that the Manager is able to perform all required tests in accordance with applicable standards and sound laboratory practice.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with certain disabilities to perform the essential job functions when safety is not compromised. A 90-day initial review period applies to Laboratory Managers, during which time the Laboratory Manager candidate and Saybolt will assess the candidate's suitability for the job.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in chemistry/science
- Or at least five years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret instructional and technical materials relating to technical procedures, quality management, safety; and applicable government regulations. Ability to write applicable reports and correspondence clearly. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from supervisors, customers and laboratory staff.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent, and quantities (linear, volumetric, or weight) and to read and interpolate applicable data and tables. Able to draw and interpret applicable graphs and control charts.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule formats.
- Supervise and direct other employees in the laboratory so that the efficiency of the laboratory operations and equipment remains high
- Maintain applicable laboratory safety programs and good housekeeping practices in the laboratory
- Understand and satisfy all Company Quality Program requirements
- Ensure that laboratory testing is performed and reported promptly and accurately in accordance with applicable standards
- Show the potential to develop leadership skills with employees.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Familiarity with basic computer skills is required. This includes ability to use Saybolt Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and able to train other staff members in the system as required.
Laboratory Managers are expected to exhibit professional appearance and attitude. They are also expected to motivate fellow employees to act in harmony. Willingness and ability to meet and interact with the Division's customers is required. Laboratory Managers are also required to visit customers periodically to maintain their business relationship with the Division.
Laboratory Managers must be ready to accept job assignments at any time, including scheduled days off. Attendance and active participation at monthly safety meetings is required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid driver's license and a good driving record.
The physical demands described here are representative, but not necessarily all-inclusive, of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with certain disabilities to perform the essential functions when safety is not compromised.
Physical Qualifications for Laboratory Managers:
- Laboratory management and testing staff are required to meet the following physical qualifications:
- Pass the drug and alcohol test specified by for safety-sensitive employees.
- Be able to work in the presence of odors typical of petroleum or petrochemicals without allergic reactions or nausea. When such odors are within OSHA-designated permissible exposure limits (PELs).
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear; and test or smell. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Employee must regularly lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions when safety is not compromised.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. The Company provides product information, training, engineering controls, and personal protective equipment in an effort to protect employees from exposure to potentially harmful levels of those materials. Employees are required to read product information, use available engineering controls, follow guidelines presented during training, and be able to wear and use appropriate protective equipment, including respiratory protective equipment, as may be required by the work environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Smoking and consuming food or drinks are not permitted in laboratories.
Core Laboratories is a leading provider of proprietary and patented Reservoir Description and Production Enhancement.
Located with over 70 offices in more than 50 countries in every major oil-producing province in the world. Core Laboratories remains dedicated to providing the technology our client’s need to enhance their production. We continue to develop and acquire technologies that complement our existing products and services, and we disseminate these technologies throughout our global network.
Our Clients are the world’s largest major, national and independent oil companies. Core Laboratories' reservoir optimization technologies are used to increase total recovery from existing fields. Our services enable our clients to optimize reservoir performance and maximize hydrocarbon recovery from their production fields.
Core Laboratories has taken extensive measures to ensure the services and data provided by all of our worldwide companies are of the highest quality and integrity. Our commitment to applying and developing new technologies to optimize reservoir performance is unsurpassed in the oilfield service industry. This commitment to technology and to our client’s bottom line makes Core Laboratories, The Reservoir Optimization Company™.
Our Culture has been defined by over 70 years of business built on the principles of integrity and ethical conduct in the support of our clients. Our continuing primary goal is “to produce a quality product on time at a competitive price” in a manner consistent with these principles. The integrity of our company and ability to provide quality products and services to our clients are the essence of our business.
These same ethical standards are what we expect from our employees. We could not accomplish the extraordinary results we have in our past and will in our future without talented and dedicated employees – such as we have now.
It is the talented and dedicated employees that have positioned Core Laboratories as the leading provider of reservoir- optimizing technologies. You can feel and see this in our culture. Core Laboratories strives to create an environment for our employees so they can advance in their careers enabling both the company and its employees to build value. Our inclusive culture thrives on team-work and mutual respect for our differences. There are opportunities for everyone to grow.