Skills: Drilling Manager, Rig Manager
Experience: 7 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Rotational Salaried Employee
Location: Oxnard, California, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
The Rig Manager position is responsible to ensure that drilling schedules are achieved in compliance with company guidelines, policies and procedures. The position liaises with client representatives and rig site leadership to achieve operational objectives and milestones. The position is responsible for all operations and departments involved with the drilling and completion of the well. Also, to ensure that all work is preformed safety, efficiently and according to procedure. This position is responsible for all operations, including but not limited to, hoisting, circulating, rotating, running casing, cementing or well control. The Rig Manager takes total ownership of all operations, departments and personnel pertaining to the drilling and completion of the well.
Essential DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide visible leadership with a total ownership attitude. Owns safety standards.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of drilling crew as well as efficient operations.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Support and assist onsite HSE advisor for implementing rig site surveys, safety evaluations and hazard identification (hazard hunts).
- Collaborate with HSE advisor to ensure personnel training matrix is updated and kept current.
- Follow the client's daily drilling plans.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Ensure crews achieve Company and client competency standards.
- Train and supervise crew members on standard operating procedures to include, but not limited to, proper care and maintenance of the rig and drill string, including lubrication of equipment and housekeeping.
- Delegate work effectively with a clear definition of requirements and expectations.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Ensure Authorized To Operate (ATO) and Approved Competent Operator (ACO) are applied and followed
- Maintain records and certifications of all drill pipe, subs and tools.
- Maintain records and certifications of all BOPE.
- Ensure that Company preventive maintenance procedures are implemented and observed.
- Ensure that sling/lifting gear register is current and certifications valid, preform periodic inspections to ensure lifting gear is in good condition.
- Responsible for periodic scheduled rig inspections and filing of all pertinent reports.
- Collaborate with client drilling representative and coordinate with drill crew to accomplish optimum desired drilling conditions.
- Monitors and reviews the tracking of rotating hours on tubular/BHA/Tools.
- Collaborates with vendors and service personnel to ensure a smooth transition for scheduled operational changes.
- Ensure performance of daily checks on FOSV, Kelly cock valve, IBOP, BPV.
- Ensure rig crews' competences are developed and sufficient to perform their duties and responsibilities.
- Manage daily rig activities to include but not limited to drilling operations, HSE concerns, supply chain support, scheduling of maintenance and personnel issues.
- Ensure all rig operations are carried out in compliance with policies and procedures while adhering to any state and/or federal regulations.
- Ensure rig staffing levels are maintained appropriately to ensure project is completed safely and efficiently.
- Attend and actively participate to contribute knowledge, guidance and recommendations at all safety, operational, or leadership meetings.
- Monitor critical inventories and coordinate with supply chain personnel to ensure that equipment, parts and materials are received appropriately.
- Ensure that scheduled preventative maintenance is completely proficiently in order to minimize operational downtime.
- Responsible for periodic scheduled rig inspections and filing of all pertinent reports.
- Comply with platform emergency response plan or station bills during emergencies and/or drills.
- Provide guidance and support to drill crew and third party personnel when installing rig specific equipment, including but not limited to casing, cementing, wire line and completion equipment.
- Ensures that rig crew personnel are proficient in responding to well control situations.
- Maintain and disseminate information on rig equipment and drill string performance or failures.
- Collaborate with warehouse/materialman to ensure parts, materials and rig equipment are delivered proficiently
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
- Responsible for identifying ways to safely mitigate our customer's risks and manage costs.
- Responsible for identifying ways to improve our operational performance with innovation, reliability and efficiency.
- Provide visible leadership with a total ownership attitude.
- Ensures that operations have been planned and reviewed with the appropriate tools and approval.
- Responsible for identifying potential risks and hazards
- Responsible for pro-actively implementing measures to mitigate and minimize risks and hazards.
- Responsible for capturing lessons learnt and implementing them on future activities.
- Responsible for pro-actively managing their crew and ensuring they are performing their duties.
- Responsible for the supervision of the drilling crew, ensuring that operations are performed safely and efficiently.
- Provides crew with a clear operational plan of upcoming duties.
- Ability to organize and delegate work and hold crew members accountable to tasks delegated to them
- Responsible for ensuring and promoting teamwork amongst the crew.
- Responsible for evaluating the performance, development and succession of the crew.
- Responsible for identifying talent for promotion.
- Effectively communicates to crew and management.
- Ensures communication is two-way by effective listening and seeking feedback.
- Responsible for appropriately communicating both positive feedback and recognition as well as coaching and discipline to the crews, choosing the appropriate manner for delivering the communication.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or abilities expected for this position.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various rig equipment.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various tubular sizes and thread types.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger's role to ensure safe lifting operations are performed.
- Knowledgeable of mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Must have the capacity to work effectively under pressure in ambiguous and complex situations.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and be able to function the following equipment:
- Diverter, Well head, BOP and associated control equipment
- Mechanical rig with conventional brake handle
- Can demonstrate knowledge and execution of the following operations:
- Drilling and well operations
- Well integrity and well control
- Dropped objects prevention
- Line of fire, zone of exclusion and safe zone operations
- Pipe measurement, number, strapping and tallying of pipes
- Tripping and back reaming
- Running casing and completions
- Troubleshooting downhole problems and equipment failures
- Must have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate in English with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, common sense and the ability to follow directions.
- Must possess basic mathematical skills (equivalent to a high school education) and be proficient in rig math.
- Education, experience, and certifications:
- High School diploma is required
- Must be able to obtain appropriate Well Control certification
- Must be able to obtain appropriate Offshore certifications
- Should have at least 7 years of work experience pertaining to drilling
- Should have at least 5 years of supervisory experience.
PHYSICAL Demands for duty
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull and use repetitive wrist and hand movements. The employee may be required to lift and/or move objects of up to 50 pounds. The employee frequently is required to hang and swing on a rope to get from the boat to the platform and vice versa. The employee must be able to tolerate continuous vibrations and elevated noise levels as well as tolerate wearing personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness. The employee must stay mentally alert for entire regular shift and must have the ability of simultaneously rapid mental coordination.
Parker Drilling provides equal opportunity for all people and will not discriminate on the basis of an employee's or applicant's race, color, religion, sex (which includes pregnancy, perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, registered domestic partner status, national origin, primary language, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, medical condition, family and medical care leave status, genetic information, family medical history, military and veteran status, or any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law.
Parker Drilling will make reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with disabilities, in compliance with federal and state laws. Parker Drilling will also make reasonable accommodations for the known religious practices (including dress and grooming standards) of all qualified individuals, in compliance with federal and state laws. Additionally, Parker Drilling will make reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals who identify as transgender. Any applicant or employee who believes he or she requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job should contact the Regional HR Manager and request such an accommodation. Any applicant or employee who requests an accommodation should specify what type of accommodation he or she needs in order to perform the essential functions of the job. Parker Drilling and the applicant or employee will work together to determine if a reasonable accommodation is available. When appropriate and necessary, Parker Drilling may need the employee's permission to obtain additional information from treating physicians or other medical professionals. Accommodation requests will be treated as confidential and all related medical information (except information regarding work restrictions that may need to be shared with others as necessary) will also be treated as confidential and kept separately from the employee's personnel file.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws, regulations and company's safety policies and procedures.
- Provide visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk.
- Ensure that personal behaviors and work practices are in line with Company safety standards.
- Responsible for safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, vendors and guests
- Must participate and promote the use of Stop Work Authority (SWA)
- Must participate and promote behavioral based safety program (such as: COACH card program).
- Must actively participate in the various meetings held onsite/onboard (such as: pre-job meetings, pre-tour meeting, weekly safety meeting, risk assessment, safety stand-downs etc.).
- Must plan, execute and participate in regularly scheduled safety drills (such as: well control, fire, man over board, etc.)
- Must participate in the processes of creating and revising work safe procedures as required, including after action review. (AAR)
- Must participate and promote dropped object prevention program, including red zone/exclusion zone management.
- Ensure all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company policies
- Does not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively work with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk.
- Must remain calm in emergency situations to ensure the safety of the crew.
- As needed, seek advice from HSE representative.
This position will be located on an offshore California platform and is subject to extreme temperatures and environments. Travel to and from the work location is required. Potential for exposure to temperature changes, wetness, confined spaces, chemicals, grease and oil are possible. Working with ladder and scaffolds and climbing to heights of 200 feet while carrying tools is possible. Parker Drilling will supply adequate training and equipment to meet the requirements pertaining to the job.
Regular work schedule for this position is 12+ hours per day, 14 days on and 14 days off rotational schedule.
Employment with the Company is "at will." This means that both you and the Company have the same right to terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, and with or without notice. Nothing in this Job Description or in any document or statement shall be construed to constitute a contract of employment or guarantee of continued employment contrary to the "at will" provisions of employment. Nothing in this Job Description shall limit the Company's right to terminate employment "at will." No manager, supervisor, or employee of the Company, other than the Regional HR Manager, has any authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time, under any specified term or condition, or to make any agreement for employment other than "at will." I also understand and agree that if I am hired, any future changes in job titles, duties, compensation, working conditions, and/or benefits, policies and procedures will not alter our at-will agreement.
Parker Drilling is a global drilling company providing drilling services, project management and rental tools to the energy industry. Parker’s primary business segment is drilling services with 38 rigs in international locations and 19 rigs in the United States Gulf of Mexico.
The Company’s international rig fleet consists of barge rigs and related operations in the Caspian Sea, Nigeria and Mexico, as well as land rigs and related operations in a total of 15 countries. Parker’s U.S. rig fleet operates in the transition zone of the Gulf of Mexico.
Founded in 1934, the Company moved it headquarters to Houston, Texas from Tulsa, Oklahoma in September 2001. Customers include major, independent and national oil and gas companies. Quail Tools has four U.S. locations where it is a leading provider of specialized rental equipment for drilling and workover operations. Office and yard locations include New Iberia, Louisiana; Victoria and Odessa, Texas; and Evanston, Wyoming.