Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer
(Bloomberg) -- A bid for Santos Ltd. may trigger counter offers for the Australian oil and gas producer that has stakes in some of the world’s cheapest liquefied natural gas.
The Adelaide-based company surged the most in a year after saying it received and rejected a A$9.5 billion ($7.2 billion) takeover approach from Harbour Energy Ltd. led by former Royal Dutch Shell Plc executive Linda Cook. Harbour is preparing to make another cash offer of about A$5.30 a share within weeks, the Australian Financial Review reported, without citing sources.
“An opening offer is rarely the best or last action and could also awaken any number of interested parties from a slumber--think Woodside Petroleum for starters,” according to a research note from Morningstar Inc.
A potential bid from Harbour may also flush out a rival offer from Santos’ largest shareholders, ENN Group and Hony Capital Ltd., Evans & Partners Pty Senior Research Analyst Andrew Hines wrote in a note Thursday. ENN and Hony hold about a 15 percent stake in Santos and in June agreed to coordinate investments with the Australian explorer in upstream gas and LNG production.
Santos rejected the non-binding proposal received in August from Harbour because the price of A$4.55 a share “was inadequate and funding was uncertain,” Chief Executive Officer Kevin Gallagher said in an emailed statement. Harbour is a joint venture between embattled commodity trader Noble Group Ltd. and resources investment house EIG Global Partners.
“If a credible bid is presented” then “other potential future Santos acquirers, such as existing shareholder ENN, could consider avenues to enter the fray,” Wood Mackenzie Ltd. analyst Saul Kavonic said in an email.
Santos shares jumped 13 percent to close at A$4.95 Thursday, the highest since August 2016. A bid of around A$6.50 a share is required for a “serious discussion,” Credit Suisse Group AG analyst Mark Samter wrote in a note.
Any deal to buy the Australian energy company would give the buyer control of the Gladstone liquefied natural gas plant in Queensland as well as an 11.5 percent stake in the ConocoPhillips-run Darwin LNG facility and a 13.5 percent holding in ExxonMobil Corp.’s Papua New Guinea LNG project.
“Harbour would be aiming for two things here and that’s their stakes in GLNG and PNG LNG,” said David Lennox, a Sydney-based resources analyst with Fat Prophets. “If you want to get two good natural gas exposures, Santos is probably the cheapest of all of them in the region.”
A New York-based spokesman for Harbour Energy declined to comment.
Santos was among the biggest casualties of the rout in crude oil prices, plunging from a 2014 peak of A$13.23 a share to a low of A$2.48 in 2016 as debt levels ballooned while it was building Gladstone.
After facing pressure from major shareholders over its strained balance sheet, Santos has emerged a stronger energy producer this year after slashing its costs and receiving regular LNG revenues from its share of the GLNG plant.
The company previously rejected a A$7.14 billion bid in late 2015 from Scepter Partners, an investment firm backed by Asian and Middle East royalty.
Noble Group owned 75 percent of Harbour Energy as of January 2017, though that stake may have changed after Harbour led a $3 billion acquisition of U.K. North Sea assets from Shell in November. EIG runs Harbour on a day-to-day basis.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- Australia's Santos Profit Soars, Flags China LNG Sales Push (Feb 21)
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)