Oil Rig Headed to Drill in South Africa's Litigious Waters
A rig hired by Eco Atlantic Oil & Gas Ltd. and partners is headed for waters off South Africa, where a surge of legal moves to block fossil-fuel exploration has taken place.
Community and environmental activists have blocked two seismic surveys through lawsuits since December, including one commissioned by Shell Plc. The groups have cited risks to marine life and criticized consultation processes.
South Africa’s energy minister has encouraged the quest for oil and gas in a country that lacks significant domestic output. Other government officials have pressed for a quicker move toward cleaner energy sources, with the planned transition including using gas, which along with oil is primarily imported by the nation.
Eco Atlantic’s Gazania-1 prospect is targeting a 300-million-barrel light-oil resource in Block 2B, 25 kilometers (15.5 miles) offshore the Northern Cape Province, the company said Friday. The Island Innovator rig is expected to arrive and start the well, subject to weather conditions, by the end of September. It’s currently offshore the coast of Norway, according to Bloomberg ship tracking data.
Other oil explorers also remain undeterred. Searcher Seismic Ltd., which called off an earlier search due to a court challenge, is planning another.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
- UK Offshore Energy Calls for Labour Party Meet
- Two Main Forces Have Come Together to Pull Down Commodity Prices
- Aker BP's 1.07 Bboe North Sea Projects Get Parliament Nod
- Coal Getting Cheaper in China Despite Heat-Induced Demand Surge
- Distillate Crack Spreads Return to February 2022 Levels: EIA
- Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Eyes to Fuel Sea Transport with Ammonia
- Gas South Inks Plumbing Deal for Its Consumers
- Saudi Oil Cut Risks Leaving Bitter Taste for Budget
- Americas Exploration Heats Up
- Further OPEC+ Production Cuts Are Still on the Table
- Saudi to Cut Output by 1MM BPD in Solo OPEC+ Move
- Data Science is the Future of Oil and Gas
- India to Boost Renewables Capacity, Avoid New Coal Plants
- Saudis Remind Global Oil Market Who is King
- Kinder Morgan to Expand Gas Capacity at Texas Gulf Coast Facility
- USA Steel Major Taps ExxonMobil for Carbon Capture
- Aramco Holds Talks with Turkish Firms on $50B Planned Projects
- What Do Latest OPEC+ Moves Mean?
- Debt Ceiling Deal Becomes Law
- Which Generation Is Most in Demand in Oil, Gas Right Now?
- Who Is the Most Prolific Private Oil and Gas Producer in the USA?
- USA EIA Slashes 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- BMI Reveals Latest Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Is There a Danger That Oil and Gas Runs out of Financing?
- BMI Projects Gasoline Price Through to 2026
- What Will World Oil Demand Be in 2023?
- North America Rig Count Reduction Rumbles On
- What New Oil and Gas Jobs Will Exist in the Future?
- What Does a 2023 USA Recession Mean for Oil and Gas in the Country?