Oil Prices Won't Hit $100 This Year
Goldman Sachs Group Inc., one of the most bullish banks on its outlook for oil, has nudged its forecasts down as worries over the banking sector and the potential for recession outweigh a surge in demand from China.
The bank’s analysts now see Brent reaching $94 a barrel for the 12 months ahead, and $97 a barrel in the second half of 2024, versus $100 a barrel previously.
“Oil prices have plunged despite the China demand boom given banking stress, recession fears, and an exodus of investor flows,” the bank said in a March 18 note. “Historically, after such scarring events, positioning and prices recover only gradually, especially long-dated prices.”
Global markets have been roiled this week as turmoil at Credit Suisse Group AG triggered panic across markets. Oil has slumped to a 15-month low, with Brent dropping 12% this week to below $73 a barrel.
Following the decline in prices, the bank now expects OPEC producers to only increase output in the third quarter of 2024, versus in the second half of 2023 which Goldman had estimated before the price rout.
What do you think? We’d love to hear from you, join the conversation on the
Rigzone Energy Network.
The Rigzone Energy Network is a new social experience created for you and all energy professionals to Speak Up about our industry, share knowledge, connect with peers and industry insiders and engage in a professional community that will empower your career in energy.
- Two Main Forces Have Come Together to Pull Down Commodity Prices
- UK Offshore Energy Calls for Labour Party Meet
- Aker BP's 1.07 Bboe North Sea Projects Get Parliament Nod
- Coal Getting Cheaper in China Despite Heat-Induced Demand Surge
- Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Eyes to Fuel Sea Transport with Ammonia
- Distillate Crack Spreads Return to February 2022 Levels: EIA
- Americas Exploration Heats Up
- Gas South Inks Plumbing Deal for Its Consumers
- Saudi Oil Cut Risks Leaving Bitter Taste for Budget
- Irving Oil Starts Review That Puts Key Refinery on Market
- Saudis Remind Global Oil Market Who is King
- Saudi to Cut Output by 1MM BPD in Solo OPEC+ Move
- Data Science is the Future of Oil and Gas
- Debt Ceiling Deal Becomes Law
- What Do Latest OPEC+ Moves Mean?
- TotalEnergies Inks Agua Marinha PSC in Brazil
- Fatality At North Rankin Complex
- North America Loses More Rigs
- Par Pacific Completes Buy of ExxonMobil Refinery
- Regulator Fines Hilcorp Alaska in Latest of Over 60 Enforcement Actions
- Which Generation Is Most in Demand in Oil, Gas Right Now?
- Who Is the Most Prolific Private Oil and Gas Producer in the USA?
- USA EIA Slashes 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- BMI Reveals Latest Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Is There a Danger That Oil and Gas Runs out of Financing?
- BMI Projects Gasoline Price Through to 2026
- What Will World Oil Demand Be in 2023?
- North America Rig Count Reduction Rumbles On
- What New Oil and Gas Jobs Will Exist in the Future?
- What Does a 2023 USA Recession Mean for Oil and Gas in the Country?