Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield
BAGHDAD, Nov 20 (Reuters) - BP and Eni are among companies that have expressed an interest in developing the giant Majnoon oilfield which Royal Dutch Shell plans to leave next year, Iraqi oil officials said on Monday.
Shell has agreed to exit the Majnoon field in southern Iraq and hand over its operation to the state-run Basra Oil Co. by the end of June 2018, according to two Iraqi oil officials.
"BP and Italy's Eni have approached the oil ministry last month to show interest in developing Majnoon after Shell exits the field," an oil official close to Majnoon operations said.
BP and Eni were not immediately available to comment.
Two other oil officials confirmed BP and Eni's interest in Majnoon and said the oil ministry had not yet started talks with either company.
BP is developing Rumaila, Iraq's biggest oilfield, in the south. The field currently produces around 1.45 million barrels per day (bpd).
Eni operates the 4-billion-barrel Zubair oilfield in the south, which currently produces around 430,000 bpd.
Iraqi Oil Minister Jabar al-Luaibi said on Oct. 9 that Chevron and Total were among the companies that had expressed an interest in developing Majnoon.
Iraq is developing the Majnoon field itself until it can find a foreign partner.
"The oil minister Luaibi will directly supervise the operations in Majnoon after Shell leaves to make sure operations will not be disrupted," said another Iraqi oil official.
(Reporting by Ahmed Rasheed; Editing by Jane Merriman and Mark Potter)
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.
Operates 32 Offshore Rigs
- BP Sees Electric Future With Oil Demand Peaking in 2030s (Feb 20)
- Big Oil Said to Plan Tenfold Expansion of Cost-Cut Collaboration (Jan 23)
- BP Is Said to Weigh Bid for $1.8B Italian Solar Company (Jan 22)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Egypt's Potential Gas Surplus Could Feed Global LNG Glut (Feb 20)
- Egypt With Eni to Fast-Track Zohr Gas Output, Minister Says (Jan 31)
- Statoil Quits Talks Over Stake In Mozambique Offshore Gas Block (Jan 29)
Company: Royal Dutch Shell plc more info
- Big Oil CEOs Appeal to Norway to Back Carbon Capture and Storage (Feb 15)
- Shell's Pivot to Renewables Sharpens With California Deal (Feb 14)
- Shell Sweeps Nine Of 19 Blocks Awarded In Mexico Oil Auction (Jan 31)