China's CNPC Ready To Take Over Iran Project If Total Leaves - Sources
BEIJING, May 11 (Reuters) - China's state-owned energy major CNPC is ready to take over Total's stake in the giant Iranian South Pars gas project if the French company leaves amid newly announced U.S. sanctions, industry sources said.
The United States this week said it would impose new sanctions against major oil and gas producer Iran after abandoning an agreement reached in late 2015 that limited Tehran's nuclear ambitions in exchange for sanctions relief.
While the new sanctions are unilateral, many companies, including Japan's Inpex, already appear to be bowing to Washington's pressure and abandoning projects in Iran.
If Total walks away from the South Pars field, which has the world's biggest natural gas reserves ever found in one place, CNPC is prepared to step in, the sources said.
It was not clear whether CNPC had received top government approval to do so. But such a move could further strain the tense trade relationship between Beijing and Washington.
Reuters reported in December that a $1 billion deal signed last July gave the Chinese firm the option to take over Total's stake if it left Iran.
Since then, the Beijing-backed giant has conducted significant due diligence and planning, several high-level industry sources told Reuters.
"The possibility of Total's pullout is quite high now, and in that scenario CNPC will be ready to take it over fully," said a senior state oil official with knowledge of the contract.
An executive with direct knowledge of the project added that planning began "the day the investment was approved."
"CNPC foresaw a high probability of a reimposition of (U.S.) sanctions," the executive said.
All the sources spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to media.
Under the terms of the agreement to develop phase 11 of South Pars, CNPC could take over Total's 50.1 percent stake and become operator of the project.
CNPC already holds a 30 percent stake in the field, while Iranian national oil company subsidiary PetroPars holds the remaining 19.9 percent.
So far, the Chinese oil giant, which already operates two oil fields in Iran, has spent about $20 million on planning to develop the field, the sources said.
View Full Article
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.