TotalEnergies Spuds Venus Well Offshore Namibia
French energy giant TotalEnergies has spudded the ultra-deepwater Venus-1X exploration well offshore Namibia.
TotalEnergies is drilling the Venus-1X well using the Maersk Drilling-owned drillship Maersk Voyager. The rig started its journey from Luanda, Angola, to Namibia’s offshore in mid-November.
The Venus-1X exploration well is set in Petroleum Exploration Licence 56 – Block 2913B. TotalEnergies is the operator of the block with a 40 percent interest.
Its partners in the block are Impact Oil and Gas with a 20 percent interest, QatarEnergy with a 30 percent interest, and the Namibian state oil company NAMCOR holds a 10 percent interest.
Privateer exploration firm Impact Oil and Gas said in its announcement that the Venus-1X well was spud on Wednesday, December 1, 2021. According to the company, the well is being drilled in 9,840 feet water depth by the Maersk Voyager drillship.
The well is targeting a large basin floor fan system with significant undiscovered petroleum initially in place that has been identified using 3D seismic data.
“This is an exciting moment for Impact and our shareholders. Impact, together with our partners in the Government of Namibia, has been working to mature and drill the Venus prospect since 2014. Venus-1X is a world-class, basin opening well which, if successful, could be transformative for Namibia,” Siraj Ahmed, Chief Executive Officer of Impact, said.
As for Petroleum Exploration License 56 and the 2913B Block, it is offshore southern Namibia and covers more than 2 million acres.
To contact the author, email email@example.com
What do you think? We’d love to hear from you, join the conversation on the
Rigzone Energy Network.
The Rigzone Energy Network is a new social experience created for you and all energy professionals to Speak Up about our industry, share knowledge, connect with peers and industry insiders and engage in a professional community that will empower your career in energy.
Editor | Rigzone
- USA EIA Hikes Up 2023 and 2024 Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Macquarie Group Reveals Oil Market Outlook
- Chevron Starts Up Gorgon Extension Project
- Eni Inks Deal to Build Hybrid Renewables-Gas Plant in Kazakhstan
- Biden Urged to Demand Climate Emergency as Smoke Chokes Washington
- Enagas Opens Logistics Bidding for Mothballed Asturias Terminal
- ADNOC Chief: Shift from Fossil Fuel Unavoidable
- Oil Down as Demand Concerns Supercede Saudi Cuts
- Improved Wage Offer Ends North Sea Dispute
- Global Oil Demand for Road Transport to Peak in 2027: BNEF
- Saudis Remind Global Oil Market Who is King
- Saudi to Cut Output by 1MM BPD in Solo OPEC+ Move
- Data Science is the Future of Oil and Gas
- Debt Ceiling Deal Becomes Law
- Two Main Forces Have Come Together to Pull Down Commodity Prices
- What Do Latest OPEC+ Moves Mean?
- Fatality At North Rankin Complex
- USA Shale Seen Holding Firm on Returns
- Par Pacific Completes Buy of ExxonMobil Refinery
- North America Loses More Rigs
- Which Generation Is Most in Demand in Oil, Gas Right Now?
- Who Is the Most Prolific Private Oil and Gas Producer in the USA?
- BMI Reveals Latest Brent Oil Price Forecasts
- Is There a Danger That Oil and Gas Runs out of Financing?
- BMI Projects Gasoline Price Through to 2026
- What Will World Oil Demand Be in 2023?
- North America Rig Count Reduction Rumbles On
- What New Oil and Gas Jobs Will Exist in the Future?
- What Does a 2023 USA Recession Mean for Oil and Gas in the Country?
- USA Oil and Gas Supported Nearly 11MM Jobs