Permian Jobs Roundup
We will continue to see oil and natural gas employment growth in the Permian basin this year, although there won’t be a dramatic spike in jobs.
That’s according to Texas Independent Producers & Royalty Owners Association (TIPRO) President Ed Longanecker, who said the industry has become “much more efficient in recent years”.
TIPRO is currently tracking over 1,000 open positions in the upstream sector in the Permian basin, including Texas and New Mexico. The full oil and natural gas industry in the Permian - including upstream, midstream and downstream - currently has approximately 2,700 open positions, according to TIPRO.
The top 10 cities for open oil and gas positions in the Permian on a numeric basis, as outlined by TIPRO, and in order, are as follows:
- Midland, Texas
- Odessa, Texas
- Pecos, Texas
- Carlsbad, New Mexico
- Hobbs, New Mexico
- Big Spring, Texas
- Artesia, New Mexico
- Lubbock, Texas
- Andrews, Texas
- Kermit, Texas
The top oil and gas industry sectors for open positions in the Permian on a numeric basis, as outlined by TIPRO, and in order, are as follows:
- Crude petroleum extraction
- Support activities for oil and gas operations
- Petroleum Refineries
- Drilling oil and gas wells
- Oil and gas field machinery and equipment manufacturing
- Pipeline transportation of natural gas
- Natural gas distribution
- Pipeline transportation of crude oil
- Pipeline transportation of refined petroleum products
- Petroleum bulk stations and terminals
The top open positions in the Permian basin on a numeric basis, as outlined by TIPRO, and in order, are as follows:
- Maintenance and repair workers
- Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers
- First-line supervisors of mechanics, installers and repairers
- Service unit operators – oil, gas and mining
- First-line supervisors of production and operating workers
- First-line supervisors of construction trades and extraction workers
- First line supervisors of retail sales workers
- Environmental science and protection technicians – including health
- Petroleum engineers
- Industrial engineers
Formed in 1946, TIPRO is one of the oldest and largest oil and natural gas advocacy non-profit organizations in the state of Texas.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Generated by readers, the comments included herein do not reflect the views and opinions of Rigzone. All comments are subject to editorial review. Off-topic, inappropriate or insulting comments will be removed.